How do I control powerbook internal sound volume on 828MKII?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
yvawoo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do I control powerbook internal sound volume on 828MKII?

Post by yvawoo »

I use 828 MKII firewire with my powerbook G4. I have used this setup for more than 2 years now.

While I use 828 MKII for audio output for the internal sound, eg, iTunes or quicktime... the volume control fader on the top of the screen does not respond. It responds only when i use built-in speaker of powerbook.

On the cue mix controller, the master volume fader does not represent the real volume level of 828 MKII. The master volume fader controls the external sources only eg, input 1,2, mic1,2... It does not control the internal sound from the computer. So I have to go to the MOTU machine, and physically decrease the volume with volume knob when I use iTunes. Even the minimal volume level of iTunes is sometimes too loud especially when I listen to the music at night.

I think I am missing something here. I think I should be able to control the mail volume of 828MKii with the volume fader of cue mix control. Right?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by magicd »

The master fader in Cuemix controls the master volums of the Cuemix. That is the direct inpout to output monitor mix. The master fader in the Cuemix console does not control the volume of the signal coming from the computer.

iTunes has a volume control. Use that to control the volume of iTunes.

I generally recommend calibrating the playback system this way:

Play a commercial CD in iTunes, with the iTunes volume set to maximum. Set the front panel output volume on the 828mkII to maximum.
Now calibrate your powered speakers or monitor amp to a comfortable maximum listening level.
This will give you the best signal to noise ratio in your playback system.

Magic Dave