New DP User: Which INTERFACES To Buy?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
rhythm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

New DP User: Which INTERFACES To Buy?

Post by rhythm »

My studio records pop/R&B songs with live vocals and guitars, everything else (drums, bass, keys, etc.) supplied by a Motif ES8 and some virtual instruments. We're about to switch over from a hardware recorder/mixer (Roland VS2480) to DP, for the increased sequencing and DAW plug-in flexibility. I bought DP5 (it's on the way) but have not yet purchased any MIDI/audio interfaces to plug & play with my Mac (iMac G5 20", 2Ghz CPU w/1 GB RAM). I'm seeking advice on what I need to connect everything up - MOTU offers many MIDI/audio boxes/cards at various price levels - to best suit my needs, what's my best configuration (and will my current iMac be sufficient). We never record more than two vocals at a time, or 16 stereo tracks of synth/virtual inst. at a time.
Also, having never used DP/Mac for recording actual audio (beyond sequencing), I'm still wondering whether I would use DP for all my audio tracking & mixing or end up sending the mix back to an outboard recorder like my Roland for that.
Would appreciate all advice available as we set this up, thanks.
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dwetmaster »

I do everything inside DP. If you really leave it to 2 input, than the 828mkII or the ultralite are your best bet if you want to stay MOTU. That's what I prefered as I know compatibility is not an issue.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
rhythm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rhythm »

Thanks DWET. Is there any reason to consider buying the Digi 003 rack with DP, instead of the 828mkII, as your MIDI/audio interface? I know it costs a few hundred more, but some say the A/D converters, pre-amps and overall sound quality might be superior, and of course, it comes bundled with ProTools LE so that you'd have both DP and ProTools with which to record and manipulate your audio.
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

I love ProTools, I worship it even...okay, maybe not! :lol: BUT I will say that there are many out there who prefer to work in DP but get ProTools to be compatable, however they aren't working in ProTools. As much as I like ProTools, the LE series of interfaces on the Mac are NOT good options for Core Audio devices. In other words, DP won't like it much so I'd stick with the MOTU interface. If you want access to the ProToolsLE software, then an Mbox2Mini would be an inexpensive way to have direct access to this software.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
emulatorloo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New DP User: Which INTERFACES To Buy?

Post by emulatorloo »

I have used a number of different audio interfaces with DP, and as long as they have a decent Core Audio driver they work well.*

However I have recently switched to a MOTU interface and I wonder why I waited so long. The features are really great and it is a real pleasure to use the interface.

If you are going firewire I would especially recommend the MOTU interfaces, as they write their own firewire audio driver. Many of the other companies rely on the Apple firewire audio driver, which is apparently problematic.

As to whether you will need to go out to your Roland or can you do all your mixing in DP, you will be able to do everything you need to do in DP.

___
*ON EDIT -- I should note that I have run DP with digi interfaces -- IMHO digi does not do a good core audio driver. Their main interest is getting their interfaces to work w ProTools. The digi core audio driver is basically "good enough" so that you can hear iTunes etc thru it. But very limited when you use it w other pro audio apps. So I would recommend you avoid digi when working w DP.
---