Increase the volume of your mixes up to 5 times!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Increase the volume of your mixes up to 5 times!

Post by magicd »

Use the MW Limiter!

Sorry James, I couldn't help it...

Please don't ban me! :lol:

Dave
jarok

Post by jarok »

All right.

:lol:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Very funny Dave... hahaha... I thought I was going to have to delete this on my daily spam run. I do it every morning but the natives around here can't resist making quips in reply.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

James Steele wrote:Very funny Dave... hahaha... I thought I was going to have to delete this on my daily spam run. I do it every morning but the natives around here can't resist making quips in reply.
but is it still selling if we all already HAVE it?

and so as not to prove james a liar...
magic dave,
only 5 times louder? hmmm. i'm not sure that'll be quite enough. can i use it in series, and get 15-20x louder?
i think that dynamics are far too distracting to the average listener. wide dynamic range allows the concentration to drift to...say, the actual music or lyrics, rather than remaining focused on the sheer volume, where it should be. so, to simply things, my next project will only have one dynamic level (loud as $&#*).
so far, the project's coming along nicely, but i'm having a time with the fade-out. i'm suspecting dp is culprit there...any tips?

:D
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
polysoundman

Post by polysoundman »

i like pushing up the volume of my mixes till they sound like a leaf blower....

wes
magicd

Post by magicd »

kelldammit wrote:only 5 times louder? hmmm. i'm not sure that'll be quite enough. can i use it in series, and get 15-20x louder?
i think that dynamics are far too distracting to the average listener. wide dynamic range allows the concentration to drift to...say, the actual music or lyrics, rather than remaining focused on the sheer volume, where it should be. so, to simply things, my next project will only have one dynamic level (loud as $&#*).
so far, the project's coming along nicely, but i'm having a time with the fade-out. i'm suspecting dp is culprit there...any tips?
Yes, fade outs without dynamics can be tricky. They have to be done very quickly. Pulling the power cord out of the computer is one way to acheive this.

To get your mix 15X louder, all you have to do is start the mix 15X softer.
To get the mix 20X louder, do it 10X twice.

The best solution that I've found for removing dynamic range in music is to modify your ears so the dynamic range is actually gone from your hearing. Apparently this is a common technique and involves iPods and very loud earbuds. As far as I know this was originally pioneered by Pete Townshend.

Dave
TheHopiWay

Post by TheHopiWay »

Townsend? :roll:

He did nothing that wasn't pioneered by Beethoven.
billf

Post by billf »

magicd wrote:
kelldammit wrote:only 5 times louder? hmmm. i'm not sure that'll be quite enough. can i use it in series, and get 15-20x louder?
Yes, fade outs without dynamics can be tricky. They have to be done very quickly. Pulling the power cord out of the computer is one way to acheive this.

To get your mix 15X louder, all you have to do is start the mix 15X softer.
To get the mix 20X louder, do it 10X twice.

The best solution that I've found for removing dynamic range in music is to modify your ears so the dynamic range is actually gone from your hearing. Apparently this is a common technique and involves iPods and very loud earbuds. As far as I know this was originally pioneered by Pete Townshend.

Dave
Dave is really the guy in Spinal Tap with the amp that goes to 11. :wink:
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
billf

Post by billf »

TheHopiWay wrote:Townsend? :roll:

I heard from a reliable source, well Monkey Man, that Beethoven actually composed the intro to Baba O'Reilly, but shelved it because he didn't have any synths handy at the time, or it might have been he didn't have electricity to run the synths, having failed to pay his utility bills. 8)
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

TheHopiWay wrote:Townsend? :roll:

Beethoven? :roll:

He did nothing that wasn't pioneered by....

Oh, never mind.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
emulatorloo

Re: Increase the volume of your mixes up to 5 times!

Post by emulatorloo »

magicd wrote:Increase the volume of your mixes up to 5 times!
Will I gain "phatness" as well?

:lol:

--
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

I'm currently working on a fully extended dance-floor mix with total phatness and typing this with a pencil held firmly in my teeth. If I also increase the volume of my mix with MW Limiter, will this constitute a tripping risk?
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
midilance

Post by midilance »

polysoundman wrote:i like pushing up the volume of my mixes till they sound like a leaf blower....

wes
Actually, I've tried a newer technique. MW Limiter for the leaf blower. Add the MW EQ and get more like a chainsaw.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
magicd

Post by magicd »

midilance wrote: Add the MW EQ and get more like a chainsaw.
You copped that from George Martin!!

It's a little known fact that Sir George produced the Plasmatics greatest unreleased record. Wendy O with the London Philharmonic and chainsaws.

Dave
vier-personen

Post by vier-personen »

magicd wrote:
midilance wrote: Add the MW EQ and get more like a chainsaw.
You copped that from George Martin!!

It's a little known fact that Sir George produced the Plasmatics greatest unreleased record. Wendy O with the London Philharmonic and chainsaws.

Dave
yeah, and it only didn‘t get released because they didn‘t have the MW limiter back then... right?
DP 5.12/OS X 10.4.9/MacBook C2D 2.0 1GB Ram/RME Fireface 400