Time to Upgrade - Intel Multicore Question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jplosay
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Time to Upgrade - Intel Multicore Question

Post by jplosay »

Like others in this forum I am about to upgrade my Mac to an Intel MacPro. My question is; is it worth the extra money for the 3.0 GHZ 8 core versus the quad core processors. I assume the 8 core would allow you to run more plug-ins and soft synths in real time rather than having to render them to disk. But does anyone have any idea how much extra power you get? (i.e number of plug-ins, tracks, etc.)

Thanks for any advice.
robstudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by robstudio »

Hello, Emulatorloo posted the following helpful link previously...

http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/06/0810.html

Good info and it help me make my decision (I got the 2.66 GHz, I LOVE it, but of course, I can't compare it to a 3.0GHz) So far I cannot see hitting the wall with my 2.6. My DP projects so far (24 - 30 tracks... a couple of plugs on each channel) and my cpu meter barely moves. I'm happy with my decision.
Good luck and enjoy the new machine!
... and try the forum search for more details as well, I know I've seen other threads around...
Regards, Rob
Mac Pro 2x2.66GHz, 3 GB Ram, OS10.4.11 (not using 10.5), DP5.13, 2408mKIII, 2408mKII, 328 Digital Console (x2), FostexD2424, Micro Lite, QSR, SPX90, URS, PSP, Altiverb, Alphatrack, Shuttle
jplosay

Elaboration

Post by jplosay »

The lowendmac link is helpful, but maybe I didn't ask the question properly. I guess I need to know if DP 5 (or Waves plug-ins, or soft synths) are able to use all of the streams of processing the other Intel cores provide. I know that programs need to be written specifically to use multiprocessing, and I know that DP was able to use both G4 or G5 dual processors but I don't know if the 8 multiple cores changes the equation, or just exponentially increases the real time processing power.
amdrecording

Post by amdrecording »

I'm looking for an answer to this as well. Can DP 5 handle 8 cores, or are the extra processors not necessary?

-Alex
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

amdrecording wrote:I'm looking for an answer to this as well. Can DP 5 handle 8 cores, or are the extra processors not necessary?

-Alex
DP5 handles all the CPU you can get.
amdrecording

Post by amdrecording »

cool, thanks!
kenwinokur

Post by kenwinokur »

I just got a quad core 3.0 gig (had for only 3 weeks). I have a Waves Gold Bundle (which I've hardly used) and am currently working with an Ultralite (my 2408 MK III isn't working at all - see earlier post) - so 8 tracks input max.

Occasionally I am hitting an overload point and getting flagged by the CPU. I just hit continue and it does. I'm not sure when this is happening (yet). It definitely did happen when a track was playing and I tried to do something CPU intensive. Lesson - stop the track before proceeding. But, I don't think that's the only time it has happened.

I am getting 70 tracks and haven't hit the end yet. I've got the installed SATA 250 drive (with the OS, DP5, Waves and other apps) and a different SATA 500 internal drive with the audio media.

So, frankly I haven't got your answer. When I start mixing with lots of plug-ins or virtual instruments I'll find out what the limit is. But, so far the Quad 3 is working fine.
KW
auptown

Post by auptown »

amdrecording wrote:I'm looking for an answer to this as well. Can DP 5 handle 8 cores, or are the extra processors not necessary?

-Alex
Although it is true that DP is multi-threaded (had been for a long time) and will use all the CPS that you can throw at it, there appears to be other factors that limit the CPU usage on the 8-core. At this time, I don't think you get any more performance out of DP with the 8-core compared to a 4-core.

BUT (and this is anybody's guess) it may very well be true that when DP 6.xx is released at some unknown date in the future, and OS 10.5 is released in the fall, that DP will happily use all of the power at it's disposal. But for me that was a lot of ifs to add up; I went with the 2.66 4-core.
MacPro 2x2.66, 5G ram, 1 SATA, 2 raptors, 2408 mk3, MOTU HD192, Mackie MCU
Dual 2.0g G5, 7g ram, 1 SATA drive, 1 IDE drive, Duende, Liquid Mix, UAD-1,
OS X 10.4.11, DP 5.13, MOTU 2408mk3, BFD, RMX, Atmosphere, EWQLSO Gold XP, Ethno, Grace m906, Blue Sky 5.1 monitors
MacBook Pro 2.13 3G ram, ext FW drive