1.53GHZ G4 FastMac with 324PCI CRACKLING OUTPUTS

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ahbpower
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

1.53GHZ G4 FastMac with 324PCI CRACKLING OUTPUTS

Post by ahbpower »

I have a G4 733 DA running OS 10.3.9 with all updates. I have just upgraded the processor to a FastMac G4 1.53Ghz. The processor is rock solid and fast. However....

The strange thing is this: the outputs of the MOTU 2408 now crackle, but if I bounce the mix down in Logic 7.1.1, either real time or offline, the resulting mix does not crackle when played from burnt CD, ie the file is 100% clean, just the sound for monitoring is terrible. It is like record static is added only worse and it gets worse if processor is taxed, a few space designer and ultrabeat plugins and it is mega crackly.

If I switch the driver to built-in audio it is fine even when processor is taxed. Also the MOTU 2408 has no problem if I put the old processor in, only it is SLOW.

The issue seems to be a hardware conflict between the MOTU 2408/PCI324 card and the FastMac 1.53Ghz processor upgrade. FM have offered me a refund but the processor works perfectly in every other way. HELP!!! is there a firmware update of the PCI 324 or 2408?
Electric Lotus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

424 problems

Post by Electric Lotus »

I too have a similar problem, outputs C 7 -8 crackle when audio is passed through....
What is the sound of a tree falling in the forest ?

- Shut up and record it.....

DP 6.01, DP 5.11 for tracking, 2.7GHz Mac, 4 Ram, M5 V.2, Symphonic Instruments, Analog handmade 24/24/8/2 desk, cool preamps, Dynaudio BM15....bla bla .....GREAT ROOMS !!!
ahbpower
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

have you modified your G5?

Post by ahbpower »

The problem only occurs with mine with the 1.53Ghz G4 processor in not the old 733Mhz, but it occurs on all outputs not just 7-8. I am going to buy another soundcard and see if that might solve things, I will let you know.
AB