Best Hard Drive for G5

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
cubehead
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Best Hard Drive for G5

Post by cubehead »

Does anyone know what the best hard drive I can put in a G5 is? Thanks
Chris Cubeta
http://www.galuminumfoil.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dual Core Intel 3GHZ. DP 7.24. 24 Channels of Lynx Aurora, Neotek Elan, Api, Daking, Five Fish, Purple Audio, UA 1176 and a bunch of other crap.
gearboy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by gearboy »

I've got two Western Digital Caviar drives in my G5. A 320GB for the system drive (partitioned in half), plus a 500GB drive for recording and storage (again, partitioned in half). Both have a 16MB cache and are 7200RPM SATA drives.

I've had the 500GB drive since last August and the 320GB drive since April. The 500GB drive was $199 almost a year ago and the 320GBdrive was $99. Pretty amazing that so much space costs so little these days.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

depends what you mean by "best"

for best performance, nothing beats the 10K RPM Raptor series...i think they go up to 150 GB (maybe higher now...)

for storage, any SATA drive with 16MB of cache would be pretty good, the one's jeff mentioned, or the newer 750GB ones...

I use two 750GB Seagates @ work, and tax them pretty hard capturing and editing video.

btw, sataII drives will work just fine in a G5, they just get scaled down to sataI speeds.
why would i want to skin a cat?
cubehead

Post by cubehead »

The 10k sounds good. Will it help to replace both the os drive and the drive I write audio to? Or is just the audio drive enough

Thanks
Chris Cubeta
Dual Core Intel 3GHZ. DP 7.24. 24 Channels of Lynx Aurora, Neotek Elan, Api, Daking, Five Fish, Purple Audio, UA 1176 and a bunch of other crap.
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

cubehead wrote:The 10k sounds good. Will it help to replace both the os drive and the drive I write audio to? Or is just the audio drive enough

Thanks

hmm...usually what the 10K is best is not for playing back audio data (unless you are playing back an insane number of 24-bit, 96k audio tracks) but rather for:

A) used as a system/boot drive, where apps will launch faster, and tons of little files are being created and moved all the time

B) a scratch disk, for video, photo work

C) for streaming sample libraries direct from disk. eg, some people will keep a VI with a big library, like Ivory on a single drive.

If all you are looking for is an additional drive to store audio projects, do yourself a favor and get something big, at least 300GB.

if you plan to upgrade both drives, a common practice would be to exchange the boot drive for a 10K raptor, and then get a big, 16mb cache drive @ 7200rpm for storing audio and project data.

10K drives are much more expensive per GB, so keep that in mind.
cubehead

Post by cubehead »

but it can't hurt to run a 10k on both correct?
Chris Cubeta
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

cubehead wrote:but it can't hurt to run a 10k on both correct?
just your wallet!

no in all honesty, it certainly wouldnt hurt performance...as long as you are ok with having less total hard drive space on internal disks.
cubehead

Post by cubehead »

thanks for the tips..

Chris
Chris Cubeta
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Raptors are also excellent for VI use.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31