PB Alu HD broke

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

dubbeljee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

PB Alu HD broke

Post by dubbeljee »

I was running 10.3.9 but experienced problems with booting my pb i installed 10.4.... an experienced the same problem after a while, reinstalled the os again... many times already.
At this time I'm running 10.4.8 and it is getting worse mail, safari and Icall crash my computer regular. Typing text means spinning balls for sure, booting up fails 2 out of 3 times. doesn't even start in target mode. When booting up from DVD he finds no internal hd to install onto. same thing when booting up with alt pressed while booting.
After many efforts he boots up from internal HD and works fine for a while.
Last crash happened when opening PB after I closed him and waited for him to fall a sleep at an other location (other wirless network) while Mail was open. ( I think 10.4... is more sensitive to changing networks while a sleep tham 10.3.9?)
restart didn't work, this time it took extreme many efforts to boot up again finally he did.

The one thing that has remained thru all OS installs is my mailbox however I've deleted all unimportant mails. and made a back-up of the mails from 2005-2006 an deleted these from the mail box.

Would my problem be solved if i just install an other HD or can there be worse thing going on?

grtzz

JJ
jarok
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by jarok »

Hi

It would be good if you backup all important files to an external drive just in case that your internal HD is broken.
You can use Carbon Copy Cloner for that. You can copy whole Startup Disk with it.
Down load here:

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

I have PowerBook and I don't use Energy Savers "Sleep functions" at all.

jarok