Current posts on Unisyn forum

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

Michael Sexton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Current posts on Unisyn forum

Post by Michael Sexton »

Isn't it curious that the time between posts is absurd? Either:
1- Most everybody who uses Unisyn has no trouble using it with it's "seamless integration" with Digital Performer, and I'm just a middle-aged dumb-a**, ....or.....
2- Like me, after countless hours of frustration have just decided to bag it and take the financial hit.
At least Cherry Picker allows one to accurately type in names for patches in midnam files which DP recognizes ( yes, a lengthy process...but for the first time I don't get "no patches" in DP and sending a patch change actually gets a response from the synth ).
Any suggestions for helping me see the light about Unisyn? There's got to be somebody out there who would take great pleasure in educating an
"idiot" in their mind to what they consider the obvious.

Yamaha S90, TX802,TX81z
Roland D-550,MKS-50
....USB for the S90, the others have their own i/o port thru a MicroLite.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

No, you're not an idiot. There is a problem with a lot of the Unisyn profiles. A while back Magic Dave helped me with some. It was the first time I ever saw the patches automatically published in DP. I still have problems with Unisyn, but I find its relational database and search functions invaluable.

As far as Magic Dave is concerned, I think I just won the lottery. I ran into him in this forum while he had enough time to help me. I know he still checks in. If we can keep this forum active, maybe he can help you, too.
Last edited by cuttime on Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
magicd

Post by magicd »

I'm easy to find. My email address is magicd@motu.com

Very rarely is a non-published patch list the fault of Unisyn. Usually it's the fault of the patch list itself.

I did not rewite any profiles for cuttime. I did make a fix to the M1 profile to slow down sysex communication. The M1 is an old slow beast and under OSX, Unisyn sent bank data faster than the M1 could handle it.

Hit me with specific questions and I'll do my best to help out.

Magic Dave
stephen1212b

Post by stephen1212b »

Hi Magic Dave,

Has the Casio CZ 101 profile ever been fixed? I suspect that whenever it was combined with the other similar CZ profiles no accounting was made for the first 16 patches being ROM instead of RAM. Any downloading comes back with an error message. It has been a while since I have tried Unisyn and now I can't seem to authorize Unisyn 2.1.1 since upgrading to 10.4.9. :(

stephen
Mac OS X version 10.5.8 / DP 7.12 / Dual 1.25 GHz G4 2GB DDR SDRAM / MOTU 2408mk3 / Powerbook G4 / traveler
magicd

Post by magicd »

stephen1212b wrote:Hi Magic Dave,

Has the Casio CZ 101 profile ever been fixed? I suspect that whenever it was combined with the other similar CZ profiles no accounting was made for the first 16 patches being ROM instead of RAM. Any downloading comes back with an error message. It has been a while since I have tried Unisyn and now I can't seem to authorize Unisyn 2.1.1 since upgrading to 10.4.9. :(

stephen
email sent.

Best way to reach me quickly is to send me email at magicd@motu.com

The Auth problem is bacause of something broken in the OS 10.4.9 install when run via Software Update on an Intel Mac. You need to download and run the 10.4.9 "combo updater" from Apple. The you can reauthorize Unisyn.

The Casio CZ101 was a very weird duck in that it uses non-terminated sysex messages. That is totally contrary to standard sysex convention, but that's the way Casio did it.

Under OSX, our MIDI interface drivers had to be updated and in the process they were written to not pass unterminated sysex messages. The purpose of a sysex termination byte is to let the system know the message is finished. Without the termination byte, there is huge potential for problems throughout the system.

So what I did to the CZ101 profile was make it add a termination byte. The CZ101 ignores that byte, but the interface drivers now let the message pass.

I've forwarded an updated CZ101 profile and patch list to Stephen. If anybody else out there has a CZ101, let me know via email.

Dave
stephen1212b

Post by stephen1212b »

:D Thanks Dave. I am glad for the heads up on the email. I saved the CZ101 profile from the junk folder and will let you know how it goes.
Mac OS X version 10.5.8 / DP 7.12 / Dual 1.25 GHz G4 2GB DDR SDRAM / MOTU 2408mk3 / Powerbook G4 / traveler