DP user interface - how to improve it (NOW with mockups)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

I like Blue's idea.

Surely it would be more practical to be able to control the volume in real-time?
Every scrub is different.

Personally I'd be crankin' the level during LF content scrubs, and lowering it for HF ones, for instance.
Finding and constantly adjusting a preference in these cases would be tiresome and inefficient.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
ajkandy

Post by ajkandy »

monkey man wrote:I like Blue's idea.

Surely it would be more practical to be able to control the volume in real-time?

Personally I'd be crankin' the level during LF content scrubs, and lowering it for HF ones, for instance.
Finding and constantly adjusting a preference in these cases would be tiresome and inefficient.
that's true. hmm, maybe the best tool for that (thinking hardware) is either the mouse, or a "scrub stick," something similar to those hybrid mod wheel stick things on MIDI keyboards?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

ajkandy wrote:
monkey man wrote:I like Blue's idea.
that's true. hmm, maybe the best tool for that (thinking hardware) is either the mouse, or a "scrub stick," something similar to those hybrid mod wheel stick things on MIDI keyboards?
Agreed, ajkandy.
I reckon it'd be hard to go past a mouse for this particular task though.
When I think about it, it hurts my brain... oops, I mean... it's the perfect tool for it.

Although I haven't seen one, I'd give the "scrub stick" a close second based on what you said though. :D

ajkandy

Post by ajkandy »

monkey man wrote: Agreed, ajkandy.
When I think about it, it hurts my brain... oops, I mean... it's the perfect tool for it.

Although I haven't seen one, I'd give the "scrub stick" a close second based on what you said though. :D
thanks. of course there's that future multi-touch screen where i expect pressure sensitivity would play a role (press harder for louder...make a gesture to do slip slide and roll edits...etc.)
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

ajkandy wrote:
monkey man wrote: Agreed, ajkandy.
thanks. of course there's that future multi-touch screen where i expect pressure sensitivity would play a role (press harder for louder...make a gesture to do slip slide and roll edits...etc.)
Interesting call.

I'm sceptical as to the robustness of said screens.
Whilst I'm sure they've come a long way, the pressure thing seems to be the weak link in these things.
Just how many presses will it take before sensitivity is lost?
Will one be able to recalibrate one's monitor?
I'd say they probably need to have thousands of them out there first, being used in this way, and for quite some time, followed by/in tandem with yet much more R&D before they achieve the everyday toughness, reliability and consistency we audio doods demand. :D