Copyright question

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Copyright question

Post by Timeline »

On a collaboration which begins with a complete track and partial concept by the first writer, then, is added to by another writer where the wrting is agreed split, does it matter that the copyright lists both as 50/50?
Jim

Post by Jim »

I've looked over the copyright laws (US), and don't recall seeing anything about that. Perhaps yours is more of a contract law question. This seems to me to be the kind of issue that could be litigated to death, and would be more an issue at common law and precedent than anything you're likely to find in statute.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

thaks for checking jim..

:)