How to make wind...

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

grimepoch
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to make wind...

Post by grimepoch »

No...it does not involve large quantities of beans or other things that disagree with your digestive super highway. Instead, it requires a synthesizer.

1) You only need one oscilator, with the ability to be set to white noise.
2) You need a synth with two filters that you can put in parallel, both set to low pass.
3) You need two LFO's that can be set to random ramps. Both of them should be at slightly different speeds but relatively slow.
4) Setup each LFO to modulate the frequency of each filter independently. Set the modulation depth according to your ear. Normally it works best by just selecting a very low note on the keyboard like A0. You could turn off all tracking of the filter to the keyboard if you want, but with this, it allows you to use slightly different notes.

Both filters take the white noise and allow bits of the mid frequencies and below to pass through like howling wind. By using two filters, it really gives a very dynamic tone that sounds extremely realistic.

As I refine it, I will post a patch eventually. I am doing some foley work so I am starting to get into this kind of stuff.
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
mikebeckmotu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikebeckmotu »

Thank you very much. That's great info. Another thank you in advance for presets!
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

No problem, MX4 is a HELL of a lot of fun to make sounds in. Just kinda straight forward.
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
thracks

Post by thracks »

You're not a true synth programer until you've made....

1. Wind

2. Ocean Waves

3. Helicopter (my personal favorite)

:wink:
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

Haha, crap! I haven't made ocean waves of the helicopter yet!!!

I was trying to figure ou how to make a metallic sound like a rotating roof vent thingy that needed oil...but that was hard! :)