Purchase fears: MSI for PC and Sonar Home Studio?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

Plakkie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Purchase fears: MSI for PC and Sonar Home Studio?

Post by Plakkie »

Hi there!

I'm totally new to the whole digital composing thing. I recently bought a MIDI-keyboard and Sonar Home Studio. I've a very tight budget, and I want to experiment with orchestral sound. Right now, I know of GPO and MSI. I'm favouring the latter at the moment, but I read a lot of threads concerning sticking notes and simply malfunctioning software.

Can anyone tell me how well MSI will work on my 3.4Ghz Intel Pentium 4, with 1Ghz RAM and a lot of free disc space, and Sonar Home Studio as base software?

Will it work? Will I have sticking notes? Will I need more RAM?

I'd thank anyone of you pro's helping me make a wellbalanced decision.
Thanks,
Plakkie
vbluguitar

Post by vbluguitar »

run like hell... I am using a dual core with a gig of ram and a firepod for the audio and can run a 32 channel band recording at 4.0 milliseconds latency, but if I try to run MSI - forget it... clicks and pops like crazy. I am using Sonar 5. run...
vbluguitar

Post by vbluguitar »

Today I downloaded version 1.1.3 and it seemed to fix a lot of problems. Strangely though, it absolutely hates my Mobile Pre. It works a lot better with my built in laptop sound card. go figure! I haven't tried it out with my Presonus firepod, however. I am going to try cubase with MSI and see if the results are better. Sonar doesn't handle the MIDI stuff as well as it does audio.
CombatWombat
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by CombatWombat »

I just came back to this website today after months now of being unable to use MSI with a Firepod. I have spent hours on the phone with support at both MOTU and Presonus. I think the concensus at this point is that MSI just WILL NOT work properly through a firepod.

I'm going to start a new thread right now to see if I can gain some insight from other firepod users here.

Cheers,

Tyler