MBP/828/DP stops recording during very loud passages

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mrbillet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MBP/828/DP stops recording during very loud passages

Post by mrbillet »

DP has been stopping recording and reading "disk too slow" while tracking my band. I'm only recording two tracks direct into the MBP through the original 828. The weird thing isn't just the measly track count but the fact that is seems to happen only during the really loud, noisy parts with crashing drums and feedback. It doesn't make a difference if the input levels are peaking or not.

My buffer is 1028. Beat analysis is off. I have 1.5Gram. It is two dang tracks!

My theory is that we may be playing a bit too loud and room resonances are bumming out the hard drive, causing it to drop out. My audio friends aren't so sure.

Does the vibration-induced crash theory seem plausible? I even placed the computer on my coat to cushion it but it made no difference so it's not the surface it's placed on.

I had the exact same problem with my ibook G3 (now dead because of that damn logic board defect, thank you Apple), running DP 4.5 and I had hoped upgrading my computer would help.

-Ian B.

MacBookPro 1.83 Core Duo
Original 828
DP 5.11
1.5G RAM
johnfingers

Post by johnfingers »

I'm sorry this is not really a reply; but I am experiencing a similar problem. I was dubbing from a minidisk via optical, and on a passage where there was clipping on the source, the MOTU 828 ( original ) lost contact with the computer. Now in spite of over 8 hours of stuffing around, it is still not recognised as present on the firewire bus. I run DP3 on a G4 cube on OS 9. (No scoffing at my poverty please.) Other devices are recognised if connected instead of the 828 via the same cable etc. I have searched the web for solutions and tried everything suggested, except that I don't know what "power cycling" means. Can the 828 be reset?
mrbillet

Post by mrbillet »

...and this isn't in response to your post but that is lame that your computer can't even read the 828.

Follow up:

I used a borrowed 896 tonight to record myself playing bass with my drummer and yes, the same issue with DP shutting down during loud parts. I used Boom Recorder for tracking a bit and it stopped recording too.

This only happened when I was cranking up the 2-12" bass cabinet (crossed over) for subs really loud. If I blasted the single 15" speaker, which I use for the high end, I didn't have any problems.

It's not MOTU's fault but my own for exceeding the bass SPL that the Macbook Pro can handle. I think this posting now belongs in the General Recording section for sure. Pretty lame situation considering I got the Macbook Pro for it's extra performance and flexibility and I can't use it to record myself unless I adapt myself to a more reasonable volume. Not easy when you've got a really aggressive drummer.

I'm bringing my cassette 4track back to the practice space.

-Ian
cigame

Post by cigame »

I guess it might be the motion sensor in the MBP that shuts down the HD on loud and low frequencies.
I would always suggest to use an external HD for audio.
MacBookPro OSX 10.5 UltraLite LogicPro8
mrbillet

Post by mrbillet »

cigame wrote:I guess it might be the motion sensor in the MBP that shuts down the HD on loud and low frequencies.
I would always suggest to use an external HD for audio.
Yeah, I think you must be right about the motion sensor thing.

You're also right that recording should go to an external hard disk, but DP is running on the built-in hard drive so it still stops recording when it gets upset. I've pretty much tried everything. It's isolation room time for the computer. Imagine having to actually turn down my amp or something unreasonable like that.

Thanks,
Ian
cigame

Post by cigame »

Is DP not capable of recording to a different HD?
Sorry for the ignorance, I'm a Logic user.
I'm sure you can choose the location of the audio files in DP too.
Just get an external firewire drive, take the extra long firewire cable that MotU provides for their interfaces and put the drive away from bassy sound sources. Don' forget your earplugs so that you can hear what you've recorded afterwards :wink:
MacBookPro OSX 10.5 UltraLite LogicPro8
Budmas21

Post by Budmas21 »

cigame wrote:Is DP not capable of recording to a different HD?
Sorry for the ignorance, I'm a Logic user.
Yes, you can record to different hard drives on DP :D
Budmas21

---------------------------------------------------------
Intel-Mac 17inch, 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM
160GB SATA HD
MOTU 896HD
DP 5.13
KRK Rokit 8 Monitors
WD My Book FW Drive