Ethno Instrument in Live v6... cross-platform problems

Moderator: James Steele

tribalogical
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ethno Instrument in Live v6... cross-platform problems

Post by tribalogical »

I'm on Mac, my friend on PC. We both use Live 6 + Ethno Instrument.

When I send over a Live project, Mac -> PC, containing an Ethno instance, it opens on his PC, but Ethno loads empty. It won't remember the presets saved with the project.....

In reverse, PC -> Mac, Live opens, and asks for the location of the library (it seems to know which preset is loaded, but not where the data for it is)... I point it to my local library, and then Live crashes......

We have a similar problem with Spectrasonics Atmosphere and Trilogy, neither will remember their saved presets in a Live 6 project.

The pattern here? These are all UVI-based plugins!

Spectrasonics says it's a UVI problem.... UVI points me back to the plugin makers (Spectra & MOTU), Ableton says that MOTU plugs -- the UVI-based ones -- don't save their preset data across platforms....

But, UVI says it's a MOTU issue....

What I'd like to know is, has anyone else experienced this behavior?

We're pretty well stumped... it only started since we both updated to Live 6, but UVI, Spectrasonics (and Ableton) have all alluded to it being UVI-engine specific....

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

peace,
tribalogical
meeloo

Re: Ethno Instrument in Live v6... cross-platform problems

Post by meeloo »

One of the reason why you may have this problem is that it is not possible to go from VST PC to AU Mac. Have you installed the VST of AU version of Ethno on the Mac?

As a workaround you can save the performance before moving the song in between platforms and reload it by hand on the new computer.
tokyojoe2005

Post by tokyojoe2005 »

We are both using the VST version of the plugin. :)
tribalogical

Post by tribalogical »

It's actually impossible to do otherwise... the PC side just rejects AU plugins outright (with specific errors)... so that isn't a related issue, I don't think.

I have both AU and VST versions installed on my Mac. I tried removing the AU but it doesn't solve anything.

Thanks for the workaround suggestion. Since this is one of 3 plugins with a 'memory loss' problem, it can escalate fast...... Ethno, Atmosphere, and Trilogy... all forget presets saved with a project, and all are UVI-based plugins... no other plugs we use do this (so far!).

And, there's only so many times in a session you can stand reloading multiple presets...... ;)

peace,
tribalogical