828MKII TSB41AB2 burnt

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
T16 Raz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

828MKII TSB41AB2 burnt

Post by T16 Raz »

I have an 828MKII with some problems...
The IEEE 1394a Two-Port Cable Transceiver/Arbiter TSB41AB2 has been burnt, this happened when som wiseguy :D managed to plug in the firewire cable backwards into the computer :shock:
I know an electronics guy who can replace it for me.
If manage to find a new TSB41AB2 it would probably be necessary to upgrade the firmware, is this possible at all?
Do the drivers found on MOTU's website include firmware for all models?

Sending it to MOTU tech support is not an option.

/Raz
Jidis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jidis »

Hi,

Looking at Digikey's site, even if you just buy one, it's only $4.16 (US). If you know someone who can swap it safely, it may be worth a shot just to see if it took anything else with it.

Good Luck,

George
T16 Raz

Post by T16 Raz »

Wow, thanks!
I've been looking around for a while now for a store where they are actually willing to sell me less than a quantity of 100 of this part :D
I didn't know a bout Digi-Key, so thanks.
I'm a little uncertain though if this is the right part for me, I think the one that ends with PAP is a later model, non-compatible perhaps :roll: But if I don't find anything else I'll have a shot at it.
Anyone knows any other place I might find this little IC?

/Raz
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Raz,

I think "PAP" is the style of chip package it's in (looks like a square in this case). That would obviously need to be the same as the one you're swapping.

BTW- When I first punched that number in on Google, there was a PDF on some sort of backward compatibility, but I'd try to get the same chip if possible. Mouser is another of the big mail order electronics dealers in the US, if that's where you are. Whoever's doing it should be able to tell the pinning and power specs from the datasheet.

Take Care,

George

PS- And make sure to let people here know if that fixes it. That problem has shown up here before.
T16 Raz

Post by T16 Raz »

So that's what it means, no worries then :D
I live in Sweden, so I had to order it from Mouser, Digikey don't ship overseas.
I'll return to this thread once I get the Interface to function again.
Thanks!
/Raz
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Just make sure you check that package. The Digikey search turns up one that is 64-HTQFP. That looks like it might be more of a rectangle. The PAP would be the same number of pins on each side.

Also, Digikey and Mouser are just places I deal with here. From Sweden, you may be able to find something better. Don't end up paying some ridiculous shipping to get it over there. The fact that Digikey is stocking a few hundred of them should be an indication that you can still find it around.

Take Care

George
T16 Raz

Post by T16 Raz »

I'm back!
The Tsb41ab2 has now been replaced. The 828mk2 is sort of working now. It starts up and it works well stand alone, connected to a computer it still doesn't work. The computer finds it alright but it has great difficulties syncing the cuemix panel with the 828 + it does not put thru sound either way.

The guy who fixed this for me said he had to program the tsb41ab2, this process takes about 20 minutes. Problem is, he had 8 different software to chose from and since the old chip was completely burnt there was no way to determine which software to use, he picked the one he thought was the most likely.
So he picked the wrong one.

Does anybody know the exact name of this software? it would save us a lot of time.
T16 Raz

Post by T16 Raz »

T16 Raz wrote: Does anybody know the exact name of this software? it would save us a lot of time.
Anyone?
Or does anybody know who might have this knowledge? which company build MOTU's hardware? A phonenumber, adress, anything...

I'm gonna have a shot again with the Tech support, but I'm pretty sure they don't know what I'm talking about (again).
T16 Raz

Post by T16 Raz »

MOTU Tech wrote:

"We cannot provide information about the parts used in the 828 or otherwise. All we can do is replace the unit for you. If your unit is broken, we must exchange it for a replacement."
Paul1024

Post by Paul1024 »

Raz,

It is not true that you have to program the Tsb41ab2 with a software program. It's a chip that gets controlled from other chips on the board. There must be another problem with the circuit.

--Paul
T16 Raz

Post by T16 Raz »

The guy who replaced the firewirechip (TSB...) has tryed to reprogram the things that needed reprogramming and it's still not working, he can't do more, says he hasn't got the right softwares.

I get these error-codes:

Opening DP:

Mac OS Error (MotuAudioSystem Mas CoreAudio error ••¡ DevSet:StartAudioCallbacks 649 [-536870186:1])

Changing sample rate:

An OSErr error had occurred. 0-
File I_FWAudio.cpp, line 714

Changing clock-source to Macintosh built-in:

An OSErr error had occurred. 0-
File I_FWAudio.cpp, line 841

and...

At the bottom of the Firewire console window it says:
ROM: 1.01, hardware v0

hardware v0 :shock:

and the CueMix Console says:

A Device is ona Bus that cannot handle Audio