Mixing advice

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
Mr. Mike
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Mixing advice

Post by Mr. Mike »

I'm recording a demo for a local band. It's a country tune. Anyone have any mix suggestions? It's called "Crying".

http://web.mac.com/mrfishell/iWeb/Site/ ... 4C303.html
Washlines
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ptich correction only for the extremest vocal-outbursts

Post by Washlines »

Hi there Mike,

I'm not on insider on the genre but I could help cringing when the lead singer does some outbursts in the song. She is so in front of everything else that here part needs to be ironed-out a little using the pitch-utility in DP. I'm listening to your mix on my powerbook speakers, which will make me unable to say something about the lows-end and highs, just the general composition of sounds.

Which I think is great and sounds really authentic to me. I would probably turn up the solo guitar a few dB to make it stand out a little better. I myself am not too fond of the echo/reverb that was used on the lead-voc but I can totally see that it's a integral part of the country-song style. I also found a lot of instruments and singers panned in the middle, I would personally spread the back-vocalists a little left and right to make the centre less crowded. But I tend to spread things out more then other guys do, to the total extreme that nothing is left in the middle . . . :wink:

Anyway, if I were a country/folk person I would surely like to buy this song. The guitars, bass, drums and vocalists were not in each others way, sound-wise. I think you did a good job and are almost there.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Arjen van der Ree
No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney
------------------------------------------------------
1Ghz-powerbook G4 (512Mb);MOTU DP4.61; MOTU 828mkII; Presonus Digimax-FS; Studio Projects SP828; ART DPS-II; Lexicon Mx200; Samson S-Phone; Alesis MonitorOne mkII; Beyer DT-770 Pro; 2x Studio Projects C1; 2x Studio Projects B1; Joemeek DP37; 4x Beyer Opus87; BD Opus65; EV 486; EV 257B; 2x Beyer Opus53; SM57, Samson C01U; 2x t.Bone RB500 (ribbons) & t.Bone CD55
Mr. Mike
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ptich correction only for the extremest vocal-outbursts

Post by Mr. Mike »

Washlines wrote:Hi there Mike,
k:

Anyway, if I were a country/folk person I would surely like to buy this song. The guitars, bass, drums and vocalists were not in each others way, sound-wise. I think you did a good job and are almost there.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Arjen van der Ree

Thanks- I'm still working on it. Your comments helped a lot.
Mike