Rhodes is back

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
KarlSutton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by KarlSutton »

chrispick wrote: Interesting. I've been thinking about the Nord Electro 2 (I'm eyeing a bunch of purchases, masochist that I am). Would you can it compares favorably to real electromagnetic keys? How so?
I think it compares well to the Mark 1 & 2 rhodes. They Mark V sample they have doesn't sound anything like my Mark V but there are a variety of ways to adjust the pickup on a Rhodes (similar to guitars) that can change the sound.

On stage it is just great though, it sounds like the real deal. The organ is cool too. I have a Roland VK8 & I think the Nord is almost as good. I've never played a real B3 though so I don't know what I'm missing there.

My only complaint about the Electro is that the overdrive sounds kinda weak. The other effects are good and fun to play with.
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

KarlSutton wrote:
chrispick wrote: Interesting. I've been thinking about the Nord Electro 2 (I'm eyeing a bunch of purchases, masochist that I am). Would you can it compares favorably to real electromagnetic keys? How so?
I think it compares well to the Mark 1 & 2 rhodes. They Mark V sample they have doesn't sound anything like my Mark V but there are a variety of ways to adjust the pickup on a Rhodes (similar to guitars) that can change the sound.

On stage it is just great though, it sounds like the real deal. The organ is cool too. I have a Roland VK8 & I think the Nord is almost as good. I've never played a real B3 though so I don't know what I'm missing there.

My only complaint about the Electro is that the overdrive sounds kinda weak. The other effects are good and fun to play with.
Good to know. Thanks.

Last question: How do the Wurly and Clav patches sound?
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

chrispick wrote:Good to know. Thanks.

I think they sound great, but like the B3 those are two vintage keys I haven't had the pleasure of playing.
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

KarlSutton wrote:
chrispick wrote:Good to know. Thanks.

I think they sound great, but like the B3 those are two vintage keys I haven't had the pleasure of playing.
Thanks Karl. Good info.

BTW, I saw pictures of the new Rhodes. Cool-looking, colorful plastic jobbers -- like out of Clockwork Orange set design or something.
Obscure Object

Post by Obscure Object »

Talking about Nord. this is shown at namm. dual manual Nord C3 http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?ty ... yword=3179
Her nose was not really a nose at all. It was only a beginning.