Pesky disk image .dmg

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Kaszper
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pesky disk image .dmg

Post by Kaszper »

I realise this is probably another issue which shows my continuing ignorance of OSX, but sometimes when downloading a small program (in this case Soundflower, to access Garageband sounds in DP), when I try to transfer the downloaded files to a USB stick to take home, the copied files contain one of those curved arrows bottom-left which seems to mean "Some files haven't copied and it therefore won't work".

Can someone explain what this is and how I can get around it, please?
Frodo

Re: Pesky disk image .dmg

Post by Frodo »

Kaszper wrote:I realise this is probably another issue which shows my continuing ignorance of OSX, but sometimes when downloading a small program (in this case Soundflower, to access Garageband sounds in DP), when I try to transfer the downloaded files to a USB stick to take home, the copied files contain one of those curved arrows bottom-left which seems to mean "Some files haven't copied and it therefore won't work".

Can someone explain what this is and how I can get around it, please?
That would be an alias. Single click the image and Get Info to make sure. You should also see what the actual file it's connected to-- the data path will be listed in the Info window, and that's the file you really want to put on your USB stick.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Kaszper

Re: Pesky disk image .dmg

Post by Kaszper »

Frodo wrote:That would be an alias. Single click the image and Get Info to make sure. You should also see what the actual file it's connected to-- the data path will be listed in the Info window, and that's the file you really want to put on your USB stick.
My salvation from the Shire!

I'm sure you're right about the alias. The problem seems to be copying it ••” ie the download on my desktop is fine, but copying it to the USB stick creates the 'arrowed' (aliased?) version. Why?

I don't understand. And still I yearn for the simple elegance of OS9...
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

hmm..

have you tried to DUPLICATE the file? (Apple + D) instead of dragging and dropping it to the USB stick?
Kaszper

Post by Kaszper »

If I do that it generates a "Some of the items couldn't be copied" message. Hopeless!

The download consists of two parts: what appears to be the application folder, and a file with one of those .dmg extensions.

If I try copying the application folder it immediately does 'the arrow' thing.
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

Are you dragging the mounted disk image to your usb drive? You need to open the folder and drag the contents of that to your drive. It looks like the disk image for Soundflower contains four files: ReadMe, soundflower.pkg, SoundflowerBed, and Uninstall_Soundflower.command. These are what you need to copy.

If you copied the dmg file to your drive then you should be able to mount the disk image and then drag the files off of there.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

rcannonp wrote:Are you dragging the mounted disk image to your usb drive? You need to open the folder and drag the contents of that to your drive. It looks like the disk image for Soundflower contains four files: ReadMe, soundflower.pkg, SoundflowerBed, and Uninstall_Soundflower.command. These are what you need to copy.

If you copied the dmg file to your drive then you should be able to mount the disk image and then drag the files off of there.
Brilliant, rcannonp!

The only thing that would prevent this from working is if the item is locked, in which case it can be unlocked in the Get Info window.

Thanks to you, Kaszper should be in good shape.
Kaszper

Post by Kaszper »

Frodo wrote:Thanks to you, Kaszper should be in good shape.
Indeed...although that single syllable 'should' is a word I grow increasingly unfond of as I grow older!

I shall give this a go ••“ thanks, chaps.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey, Kazper

"Chaps". I love it; it's been a while.
Condolences on the Ashes, my pommy pal.
The blunder down-under, you might say. :lol:

I shall miss the theatre, spectacle and genius of Warnie. :roll:

Cheers, cob
MM

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Kaszper

Post by Kaszper »

monkey man wrote:Condolences on the Ashes, my pommy pal.
The blunder down-under, you might say. I shall miss the theatre, spectacle and genius of Warnie.
National sporting disasters don't cause me much distress, Monkey. They're so common you get immune to them!

I'm not a cricket follower, but if the national team goes to the Windies, Pakistan or Oz we rather expect to get pasted ••“ especially down under at the moment...awesome team. Warne was an extraordinary force who won't be missed in the slightest by England cricket fans!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Kaszper wrote:Warne was an extraordinary force who won't be missed in the slightest by England cricket fans!
Agreed, although I suspect some will miss his skill, and many the theatre.
I've always admired his "cricket mind".

Kinda got a soft (not hard!) spot for him; his b'day is 9/13 and mine's 9/11.
Looks like 13 could be a lucky number, after all. :roll:

Cheers, mate.
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here