A suggestion for you to consider

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A suggestion for you to consider

Post by Jim »

I realize this is the Showcase Forum, and not the Critique Forum, but I would like to suggest that when people ask for critiques, that you have the courtesy to "give it to them."

Some of the posts here have asked for comments, and have received hundreds of viewings, yet only a smattering of comments.

I don't know how many others feel the way I do, but when I ask for comments, I really want you to give me your no-holds-barred, honest opinion. It's not that I don't appreciate the heartfelt and considerate compliments. I do. But, the fact is that I don't learn anything from them.

I'm sure that some of you, like me, spend hours editing and mixing some of our tunes. And after a while, we lose perspective on "the big picture," and become hopelessly incompetent at objectively judging our own work. And some of us are so in love with ourselves and our sense of style, that we can't see ourselves as other see us, which is a pretty big impediment at judging whether others will like our work, or if it has value in the marketplace.

So, for my part, when I put songs here, and ask for critiques, I want you to "really let me have it." Total honesty. I'm not asking you to be a horse's ass and be mean and thoughtless and shred on my poor taste of musical style. It's great that so many of you are kind and considerate people. But, when somebody asks for criticism, you are doing them a disservice if you merely tell them what you think they want to hear.

A true friend will tell you when you have spinach in your teeth... or you've had too much to drink... or you're making an ass of yourself.

What I'd like to suggest is a cross between what we have now, and the Critique Forum on REP. Those guys are ruthless, yet very informative and helpful.

Thanks for listening.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Excellent points and sentiment, Jim.

I'd love to comment on more myself, but can't even load linked pages most of the time.
With only a 2k modem connection, direct links to the audio files sure help.
I try to download all I can find, placing the "best" into iTunes, but "MyTrivialbutSomehowImportantSpace" and "UToob" have thrown a massive spanner into the works.
A single page loading in the background pretty-much locks Safari up.
I've tried waiting for up to 1/2 an hour, but haven't yet managed to complete opening one of these all-singing-and-dancing distractions.

What's wrong with direct links to HQ MP3s etc?
It's all about the music, after all. :roll:
OK, I feel much better now. :D

Thanks again for reminding us all of our responsibilities, Jimbo.
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Jim

Post by Jim »

monkey man wrote: Thanks again for reminding us all of our responsibilities, Jimbo.
Nicky
"Well, they're more like guidelines."
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
mikebeckmotu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikebeckmotu »

They're good guidelines.
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Don't sell yourself short, Jim.

I believe you simply reminded us of the obligations inherent to the "Showcase Forum".
Your "suggestions" seem to me to be the logical, sensible and responsible assumptions and understanding required here.
Bravo.
If you understood that, er, sentence, then double-bravo to you!
Jimbo wrote:A true friend will tell you when you have spinach in your teeth... or you've had too much to drink... or you're making an ass of yourself.
Jimbo wrote:...But, when somebody asks for criticism, you are doing them a disservice if you merely tell them what you think they want to hear.
I've always seemed to be the friend everyone needs, but no one wants!
The world is more full than ever of people who wish to live deluded.
Yup, as far as this monkey's concerned, this is the age of (willing) ignorance.
"As long as it suits me..." just doesn't cut it here.
Hence, I feel strongly that your post was timely and pertinent.

Go you good thing, Jim.
PS: FWIW, I coined a cool phrase today: Life is a team sport.
Hard to argue with that, methinks.
Nicky

dogBoy

Post by dogBoy »

I really think this Post is Stupid.
How's That.
Jim

Post by Jim »

dogBoy wrote:I really think this Post is Stupid.
How's That.
If that's your honest feeling, I can accept it. Thanks.
dogBoy

Post by dogBoy »

Thank You

best db
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

DB, that's a bit rough, isn't it?

Jim's doing us all a favour here, methinks.
You may think the post's silly, but if you asked for feedback and got nothing, well. :roll:

dogBoy

Post by dogBoy »

Your right.
My comment was not useful.
I'd rather read something thats helpful that hurtful. Jim's commentary was/is helpful.

Thanks
db
coolcolin

Post by coolcolin »

monkeyman wrote..
"I'd love to comment on more myself, but can't even load linked pages most of the time".

Thanx for reminding me to check, my one posting had gone 404 but now it works.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14892

It‘s also worth a search on uTube under "Russkaja" unless you still fear
"Reds under the bed" ;-)
Colin P
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Wow, that was so easy!
Advocating is rarely so effortless and immediately rewarding for me.

Kudos to you, dogBoy, for doing so easily what most don't seem to have the kahunas to do.
I respect those who embrace new points of view, especially when it's (seemingly) so effortlessly done.
Please don't think I'm in any way being patronising.
In my book, you genuinely deserve a pat on the back.

Yup, in my book, it's a monkey-economy.
Nicky

chamelion

Post by chamelion »

monkey man wrote: With only a 2k modem connection, direct links to the audio files sure help.
Hey Nick - I'm curious to know how and why you're still battling with a telephone modem connection. Do you live in an area that doesn't yet support cable or DSL? Dang! I'd forgotten about the horrors of telephone modems, and "YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED". If cable hadn't become available when it did, I think the men with white coats and nets would have taken me away by now.:)

Cheers,

Geoff
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dogBoy wrote:Your right.
My comment was not useful.
I'd rather read something thats helpful that hurtful. Jim's commentary was/is helpful.

Thanks
db
Thanks for following up with that db... my watchful administrator eye can rove back to the spammers now. :-)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

chamelion wrote:
monkey man wrote: With only a 2k modem connection, direct links to the audio files sure help.
Hey Nick - I'm curious to know how and why you're still battling with a telephone modem connection. Do you live in an area that doesn't yet support cable or DSL? Dang! I'd forgotten about the horrors of telephone modems, and "YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED". If cable hadn't become available when it did, I think the men with white coats and nets would have taken me away by now.:)
Cheers,
Geoff
Thanks for your concern, Geoff.

South Korea has a 98% broadband installation figure for the general population.
Australia, sadly, is languishig in 3rd-world territory in this regard, as you probably know.
The existing and proposed infrastructure issues, and possibly Telstra, have meant it's still out of reach for some.
I'm one of them.
Fear not, though; I've been monitoring the prices for 4 years, and as soon as we enter the "real world", I'm in. :wink:

Thanks again, Geoff
Nicky