How to get into publishing?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
aquaman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to get into publishing?

Post by aquaman »

i am a composer of electronic and experimental pop music and i am interested in getting my music into TV and film. Does anyone have any ideas about how i might start developing relationships with publishing companies and licensing houses. If you want to check out my stuff here is a link to my site
http://www.straymusic.net

thanks!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by David Polich »

I think this subject has been gone over in a few other threads.

Publishers these days have gone the way of the major labels - most of them have closed their doors to new writers with unsolicited material.

Music library companies, on the other hand, are always seeking master-quality stuff which they have a huge demand for. It just has to be at the same level as the stuff they already have and are putting out. Google "Music Libraries for TV and Film" and go to the websites and listen to samples of what they are selling. Then put some demo CD's together, contact the companies that look like they push your kind of music, and see if they will accept your demo CD for consideration.