Att-MOTU-Wonderful exmpl of a company reporting it' bugs

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Att-MOTU-Wonderful exmpl of a company reporting it' bugs

Post by toodamnhip »

Many of us have complained about MOTU's secrecy, delays in upgrades, failures to let us know what's been fixed and what's wrong in various versions, failure to provide a bug fix history. I think MOTU wants the world to think it's products have never had a single bug. The truth is, MOTU's policy if EFFIN MYSTERY for us all. I love many things about DP and MOTU, this insane policy of secrecy on the part of MOTU irks me to no end!

Recently, many of us took advantage of the Nomad Factory Blue Tubes group buy. Well, already, (in 4 days), this great comapny has found a bug and provided a patch. There is no mystery, no time lag, no secrecy, no begging by users for a fix. You can tell this company cares, they actually publicly apologize! I think MOTU cares too, but their secrecy sucks. I recall one patch provided yrs ago, which was great. But I had to call tech support and have it e mailed to me. It was never anounced and nevver available on MOTU's website..again, secrecy. Maybe the owner is a paranoid type, fearing company collapse should any flaw EVER be admitted.

Below you will find an excellent example of how a compnay SHOULD be about it's software, it's bugs and it's updates. I doubt this compnay will collapse after admitting it;s bug.
I hope MOTU is watching, I want this from MOTU..I want this type of service big time...
Be open..be honest, be forthright...keep us in the loop!
Dear Nomad Factory Customer,

A compatibility problem has been found in the following products:

1) Blue Tubes Bundle v2.5 ­ AU version
2) BlueVerb DRV-2080 ­ AU version
3) Analog Signature Pack ­ AU version
4) Essential Studio Suite ­ AU version
5) Liquid Bundle II ­ AU version

ISSUE: The plug-in setting saved into a session was not cross platform
compatible (PPC ­ Intel Macs), causing the saved setting to not be
recalled
correctly.

This issue has been corrected, with the new available 'Hot fix'
upgrade.

NOTE: Intel Macs users might encounter some problems to recall the
saved
setting with prior versions, before replacing your actual plug-ins
versions,
we recommend to save individually the presets used into your sessions,
so
you can re-load the setting if needed.

Please download and re-install the latest version from our download
page.

http://nomadfactory.com/downloads/index.html

Sorry for the inconveniences.
--
Best Regards,
The Nomad Factory Support Team.
==============================

PS...
James, you can move this to rants and raves if you like, but I think it is important enough to show in the main page, plus, it's technical as it let;s Blue tubes buyers know there;s a patch...but move it if you must...But this is a long term grip many of us have had at the nation...it does not mean we don;t love our software, but I doubt anyonne love the secrecy
Last edited by toodamnhip on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I have to say that I've got no problem with MOTU's ways. I'm used to them by now, after being a (mostly) happy customer for 22 years.

If I could have the things you're asking for, I'd be pleased, but I'm not particularly displeased with things as they are. 5.11 represented a major step forward. I personally think you ought to give them a chance to catch their breath before you keep ragging on them. Things are getting better, and this update is rock-solid proof of that.

I'm not going to claim to know why MOTU does things the way they do, but I'm just not concerned about it at the moment. Here's the way I see things as regards this forum:

James set this up as a user-based support group for Digital Performer. He did NOT set it up as a lobbying group to go at odds with MOTU all the time and to keep running it into the ground over its methods and policies. Sure, we all get miffed from time to time, and every one of us has complained. But can't we give it a rest when we see some improvement?

I think if you've got a problem with MOTU, you should write them in snail-mail and discuss it as businesslike as you can. Continuing the negativity here has a bad effect on everyone. Aren't we entitled to a little joy now and then? Can't we enjoy this latest upgrade? We DO report the bugs. They DO fix them when they get to them. They may not send us personalized messages telling us what bug they're working on now, and when they hope to fix it, and they don't leave a mint on your pillow at night, but we're big boys and girls. We can handle it.

Report bugs without a "sky-is-falling" fanfare, and be patient. Now, I'm not directing this personally toward you, toodamnhip; You're one of my favorite people here. I get a kick out of you. But I'm just voicing my general concern toward the hellfire choir. I'd like a break from it, personally. I'd just like to see us get the most out of the forum for a while, and complaining about MOTU really does not get us anywhere. It just doesn't. Honestly and truly. We're working on a plan that might get a little more communication--maybe. It's really up to MOTU. But if they don't, things are going to continue to get better at the rate they get better. And that's one thing you can say about Digital Performer: it has always gotten better over time. Sure, there are setbacks and versions that should not be released. But overall it rocks. And it rocks more each year.

If you want MOTU to read our forum and communicate with us, it might do us all good to try to make it the kind of place they WANT to visit. The place they know to have the highest-quality information and the most reliable bug reports. That's OUR responsibility. Can we do it?

Just my opinions.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:I have to say that I've got no problem with MOTU's ways. I'm used to them by now, after being a (mostly) happy customer for 22 years.

If I could have the things you're asking for, I'd be pleased, but I'm not particularly displeased with things as they are. 5.11 represented a major step forward. I personally think you ought to give them a chance to catch their breath before you keep ragging on them. Things are getting better, and this update is rock-solid proof of that.

I'm not going to claim to know why MOTU does things the way they do, but I'm just not concerned about it at the moment. Here's the way I see things as regards this forum:

James set this up as a user-based support group for Digital Performer. He did NOT set it up as a lobbying group to go at odds with MOTU all the time and to keep running it into the ground over its methods and policies. Sure, we all get miffed from time to time, and every one of us has complained. But can't we give it a rest when we see some improvement?

I think if you've got a problem with MOTU, you should write them in snail-mail and discuss it as businesslike as you can. Continuing the negativity here has a bad effect on everyone. Aren't we entitled to a little joy now and then? Can't we enjoy this latest upgrade? We DO report the bugs. They DO fix them when they get to them. They may not send us personalized messages telling us what bug they're working on now, and when they hope to fix it, and they don't leave a mint on your pillow at night, but we're big boys and girls. We can handle it.

Report bugs without a "sky-is-falling" fanfare, and be patient. Now, I'm not directing this personally toward you, toodamnhip; You're one of my favorite people here. I get a kick out of you. But I'm just voicing my general concern toward the hellfire choir. I'd like a break from it, personally. I'd just like to see us get the most out of the forum for a while, and complaining about MOTU really does not get us anywhere. It just doesn't. Honestly and truly. We're working on a plan that might get a little more communication--maybe. It's really up to MOTU. But if they don't, things are going to continue to get better at the rate they get better. And that's one thing you can say about Digital Performer: it has always gotten better over time. Sure, there are setbacks and versions that should not be released. But overall it rocks. And it rocks more each year.

If you want MOTU to read our forum and communicate with us, it might do us all good to try to make it the kind of place they WANT to visit. The place they know to have the highest-quality information and the most reliable bug reports. That's OUR responsibility. Can we do it?

Just my opinions.

Shooshie
I totally respect your opinion Shoosh...

and you and I met a couple yrs back in the thread I started called Kens Korner..which was all about a representive/liason between MOTU and us users.

It has been Magic D, and he is great, but he can;t devote enough time to it.

I was right back then when I started that HUGe thread about more need for communication, and this latest beef is exactly the same concept...

and the fact that you are all getting it together to accomplish Kens Korner or a mini version is absolutely fantastic, and I applaud you all and hope to be of help.

I am pretty damn happy with DP 5.11..let me say that clearly,,,,It has obvious improvements..Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU. Thank you MOTU.

Now let's open the communication lines properly, if I come across a bit strident, it;s because this has been a long overdue and an unecessary situation...

Communicate MOTU, COMMUNICATE...such a letting people know there sys ex was frying, and letting them know it's fixed...this is so needed it is absurd.

And here's my last communication for tonight...
Thank you sooo much MOTU for DP 5.11
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Cool... great... groovy...

Moving it to the OT, aka "Rag on MOTU" section of the board where it belonged. "Theoretical Discussions."
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Well, in a way, a list of issues "addressed" is also like a list of the ones ignored or not addressed. That may not be their particular reason for it, but I have a feeling the "fixes list" info is probably already floating around somewhere during the development. It wouldn't be all that hard to write either way, even if they just listed the main fixes.

As for the forum: Their media/dealer support is overpowering. All the stone throwing in the world won't put a dent in something like that, at least not from a place like this. There's probably not much more than a few "potential" customers here anyway (most of us already bought the stuff) and if the info wasn't here, it really would have nowhere else to be, and much of it is valid long-time complaints.

-- I know "...who asked me?" 8)

George