Recurring Live Band Recording

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recurring Live Band Recording

Post by waxman »

I would like some ideas on setting up a template with plugs...

I get a weekly recording with the drums, bass, keys and guitars in the same channels. Right now I look at a picture clipping and load the same plugs that I spent a few days experimenting on for the sound I like. So I get the same set up week in and out but it takes a while to put in all the plugs. There are about 35 in my basic set up. Since this stuff goes to CD I am trying to stay consistent. The instruments and players are consistent and the tweaking is minimal week to week.

So any ideas on how to approach putting all those plugs in? 9channels drums and they have 3 or 4 plugs each. Bass has 3, keys 2 each x 3 keyboards. 3 each on 3 guitars. The singers change around enough to fixing them individually makes more sense.

Would I be better cutting and pasting the tracks in. Would Vracks work?

you ideas would be welcome. It takes about 45 minutes to get all the plugs in and that is if there are no crashes.

thanks...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

Can't you just save an empty project (with plugs, without audio) as a template?

ie Set up the project as you want it first, then to save it - File/save as template ... then give it a name.

Then when you want to open again File/New> and it should be listed under the default new project template.

Is that what you meant?

:D
Shooshie

Re: Recurring Live Band Recording

Post by Shooshie »

V-racks is probably your best bet in that particular situation. Set them up on busses, transfer to v-racks, set up a template that sends those audio tracks to the appropriate v-racks, and you've got it... week after week.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

sounds like a template would do this for you by it self..

They will recall all the plug in-s etc and track order....

a real no brainer once you set it up....

open up last weeks- and save as temp[late
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
Tim

Post by Tim »

Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

And the advantage of having it the V-Rack way would be that youcan keep everything consolidated in one project. You just create a new chunk every week choosing the duplicate track layout command in the chunk mim-menu.

That is, if you see having everything consolidated as an advantage of course!!!
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh my God, Tim's reached yet a new level of efficiency, no doubt previously thought impossible.
He's improved on his one-word mastery somehow, and now has the ability to post without using any words at all.

Man, that's efficient, Tim. :shock:
MM

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

aaaaahhh
Technology!!!
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
matwell

Post by matwell »

V-Racks!!
Quad G5 - 4GB RAM; PB 17" 1.5 GHz - 1GB RAM; OS 10.4.8, DP 5.11, Digi 002R, Mbox, Pro Tools LE 7.1, DV Toolkit 2, Music Production Toolkit, MachFive, NI Komplete2, EWQLSO GOLD, MemoryMoog Plus
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

First of all, Templates are a given. Whatever method you use, you'll want to store it in templates.

After recommending V-racks, I must back-step a little in the event that you want to automate your effects. That might be harder to do in V-Racks, though you can still automate them in an Aux that receives the effect back in the mix. I don't generally automate my effects (sometimes, but rarely) so V-Racks works well for me.

Another method I've used for years: duplicate sequence. Just duplicate the chunk you like, erase the tracks, and keep right on a-working. The only advantage to this, over templates, is that you get to keep your mixes and automation. To my knowledge, this is the ONLY way to recall mixes and automation in a new file. There may not be that many applications for re-using an entire mix and its automation moves, but it happens.

Here are the methods and their advantages and disadvantages:

Duplicate sequence: Pro: preserves everything, right down to the automation. Con: you have to erase data from tracks. You may not want the same markers, tempos, etc.
Template: Pro: the most convenient for NEW files. Preserves the essentials, including plugins and their settings for the active mix. Cons: does not retain other saved mixes. There can be only one default template for creating new chunks.
Duplicate Track Layout: Pro: Much like the template method, convenient for new chunks. Con: does not retain plugins or saved mixes; just track layout.
V-Racks: Pros: your effects are always set up. Create a new chunk and it's ready to go. Uses less CPU for live effects. You can output your submasters to busses that apply them to the waiting effects. Cons: can't automate effects in V-racks (you can automate an Aux track that receives it back in the mix, just not the effect itself), makes mixing a bit less convenient if you want to adjust effects tracks like Reverb in V-Racks.

Did I overlook any?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
matwell

Post by matwell »

You can automate the send to the reverb, rather than the reverb level.
Quad G5 - 4GB RAM; PB 17" 1.5 GHz - 1GB RAM; OS 10.4.8, DP 5.11, Digi 002R, Mbox, Pro Tools LE 7.1, DV Toolkit 2, Music Production Toolkit, MachFive, NI Komplete2, EWQLSO GOLD, MemoryMoog Plus
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

matwell wrote:You can automate the send to the reverb, rather than the reverb level.
I can never remember whether that IS or IS NOT a feature now. So it IS. Great! I think that must have come out in version 5.0, right? I just haven't gotten accustomed to what's there now.

Shooshie
matwell

Post by matwell »

Shooshie wrote:
matwell wrote:You can automate the send to the reverb, rather than the reverb level.
I can never remember whether that IS or IS NOT a feature now. So it IS. Great! I think that must have come out in version 5.0, right? I just haven't gotten accustomed to what's there now.

Shooshie
Oh yeah, and it's so easy now! Just make sure that the sends are enabled in the Automation Setup. Record enable the automation for the track with the send, and tweak till your hearts content. This way, you can leave the return level static in the V-Racks and just automate the send level to the reverb (or delay or whatever). This is also cool, since you can share effects more easily because the amount of effect is determined by the send *to* the effect, and not the effect return's output volume.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks all...

For me it is new tracks everyweek...

Template it is...

I did not know that templates saved plugs...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.