Anyone have the new "8pre" yet??

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
zara_drummer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone have the new "8pre" yet??

Post by zara_drummer »

I ordered mine and it will be here on 10/18.

I cant wait to see how it sounds. If it works out, I might buy another to round out my setup.
zara_drummer

Post by zara_drummer »

Got my MOTU 8pre the other day...

I havent had a chance to record anything with it yet, but I figured I would just post an update.

I got it all hooked up with no issues. Cuemix works perfectly with it. Sonar has no problems seeing it and all the adat channel since they are turned on by default.

I'd say my only complaing so far is that the main outs have no LED monitoring on the front but thats not a big deal.

Anyone else purchase this device??
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

OH we've purchased A LOT!! LOL I think this product is going to do well, I'm sure there are quite a few here that have bought them but may not have been able to post due to the site being down lately. We'll see.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
robcollins

Post by robcollins »

Please someone post a mini review !

i'VE just ordered a couple of nice mics (a Gefell M300 and a Crowley & Tripp Naked eye) and am looking for a resonably priced mic pre.

Although I can hook up a 8pre to my 2408 via ADAT , I would have loved if it could of plugged into the 424 card via audiowire.

Still, for the price it looks good
MOTU DP 9.12 / M5 v3 / 112D / 16A / AVB Switch / MIDI Express XT USB
zara_drummer

Post by zara_drummer »

I will be recording some stuff next week with it...So I will definately post my results.

Either way, I think its gonna sound great. I've used an 896HD and it was awesome...I didnt use it in 192, or even 96khz and it still performed very well and the tracks were clean!

hope the 8pre is the same way!
zara_drummer

Post by zara_drummer »

SO I got to record some with my new 8PRE last nite...

the Pre's are NICE! they are just as expected, every bit as good as my experience with the 896HD I used for a while.

The 20db pad comes in handy for me as I was recording my drums. I didnt have any huge clipping issues once the pad was engaged.

I used relatively crappy mics to mic to the toms and the snare and was very very suprised at how clean the sound was.

So far I'm impressed with this box. I will add more as I get it.