MSI iLock

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

reachmoy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MSI iLock

Post by reachmoy »

Hi everybody! I have a huge problem with my MSI. The iLock that comes with it is broken, and now I can't use MSI anymore. Even worse, I have many expensive plugin authorizations in that iLock. Now thy wanna charge over $200 to get them back. :evil: :twisted: :x
papageno
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by papageno »

Thanks for sharing your problem.
i dont see how we could help you in your trouble :roll:
+372 56222285
Dodger27

Re: MSI iLock

Post by Dodger27 »

reachmoy wrote:Hi everybody! I have a huge problem with my MSI. The iLock that comes with it is broken, and now I can't use MSI anymore. Even worse, I have many expensive plugin authorizations in that iLock. Now thy wanna charge over $200 to get them back. :evil: :twisted: :x
You are not alone in being upset. This is an ethical problem with the industry. It will take consumer pressure to get the music software industry to begin supporting its customers with appropriate customer focus.

Right now the industry is fraught with players (not speaking of MOTU here) who, in the name of "piracy protection" charge once to buy a "software" box with a pretty picture on the outside, but do not inform the customer that additional annual license extension fees, registration charges, iLok hardware, annual key acount management fees, "support", and re-authorization fees if you change your computer configuration will be required to run the product in a normal user environment.

I recently had a hard drive crash and had to pay Waves $419 just to re-intall the original package I bought a year ago, onto my new hard drive. Were I to pull this on a customer in MY business with my software products, I would receive a lawsuit. Their puerile response is of course "You clicked to agree with the user agreement." But, they fail to achieve the mental threshold of understanding that I am only shown that user agreement when I am past the commitment to purchase, without a refund, point of no return.

For each payment I make, of course I am flowered with additional plug-ins and the rights to call tech support. All Items that I will need to buy "support" for next year..... But those are just obfuscations, the simple fact is.....

the price is not the price, and you cannot use many packages via the purchase price alone.
Last edited by Dodger27 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Andersen
Dodger27

Post by Dodger27 »

reachmoy wrote:Hi everybody! I have a huge problem with my MSI. The iLock that comes with it is broken, and now I can't use MSI anymore. Even worse, I have many expensive plugin authorizations in that iLock. Now thy wanna charge over $200 to get them back. :evil: :twisted: :x
But I agree with you. This is unethical on both company's parts.
Craig Andersen
meeloo

Post by meeloo »

Have you tried installing the latests iLok/PACE drivers from www.paceap.com ?

Hope this helps
papageno

Post by papageno »

meeloo wrote:Have you tried installing the latests iLok/PACE drivers from www.paceap.com ?

Hope this helps
I understood that iLok in question is physically broken. In that case you can install new drivers or Microsoft Word, doesnt really matter.

Just for the record, iLok annoys me. I really don't like this protection scheme. I travelled for 3 weeks and every single time I needed to start MSI I had to install iLok (which is a threat to computer because it sticks out quite some) and then put it back to a bag department with zipper to not loose it.
Luckily in a few weeks Kontakt2 UB should be avalable and then I can stop using MSI.
+372 56222285
stratology

Post by stratology »

Another thread about iLok problems...

If software uses an iLok for copy protection, don't buy it.
papageno

Post by papageno »

stratology wrote:If software uses an iLok for copy protection, don't buy it.
Sometimes I wish that life would be as simple as that...
+372 56222285
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

I've had 2 iLoks break with no abuse.
I would not trust them to travel.
I now keep them in a hub that is never touched.
I have an uneasy peace with them.
The one good thing is that when you upgrade to a new computer, you don't have to do all that other copy protection BS.
papageno

Post by papageno »

waterstrum wrote:I would not trust them to travel.
To make your life easier, keep in mind that iLok has to be in ONLY when starting up MSI.
+372 56222285