Mac Pro doesn't recognize MIDI interface

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
fmmoore
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Pro doesn't recognize MIDI interface

Post by fmmoore »

I have a new Mac Pro (Dual-Core Intel Xeon), OS 10.4.7. Digital Performer 5.1 seems to be fine, except that it can't seem to recognize my MIDI interface (Express XT). I've downloaded the only update available from MOTU. Any suggestions?
eixb

Post by eixb »

look at the bottom of your express xt. if you don't see a sticker with "M/W" near the serial number, then you need to email tech support. you have an older interface and probably need to order a ROM upgrade chip. they go for about $20, available at:

https://www.motu.com/store_products/har ... idiexpress

the mac pro uses intel chips, and so you'll need the ROM upgrade that makes the older mac-only express xt compatible with windows/intel chipsets.
fmmoore

Post by fmmoore »

Hey eixb,

Thanks for the tip. It sounds promising. I'll let you know how it works.
fmmoore

Post by fmmoore »

To Whom It May Concern:

eixb hit the nail on the head. The ROM upgrade chip solved my problem. Thanks again eixb.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Fmmore.
Can you tell what version of the rom you had? How do you put it in? Is it software or hardware?
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
eixb

Post by eixb »

Dwetmaster wrote:Fmmore.
Can you tell what version of the rom you had? How do you put it in? Is it software or hardware?
the upgrade is done by opening the case and replacing 2 small socketed chips on the main board. it's a 10 minute job from power off to power on for someone that has never opened a piece of hardware before.

interestingly enough, i had to revert the main rom chip to the original version as the new one i received was causing strange display issues on my MTP AV. both the old and new main rom chips had the same version number on them, so i guess it didn't really matter. the usb rom chip was the only one with the newer version, and that's the only one i ended up changing. seems to be working fine now.
fmmoore

Post by fmmoore »

Dwetmaster,

As eixb says, it's a very simple procedure. Before you remove the older chips, be sure to note the "U shaped notch" at one end. That will keep you from putting the new chips in backwards. It took more time to unplug and then replug my MIDI cables than it did to put the new chips in.

Good luck,

fmmoore