FireWire

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
erickorbly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

FireWire

Post by erickorbly »

Small repairs & service on discontinued models is something MOTU needs stop neglecting. Especially when parts are so freakin fragile, & there’s hardly a scratch on the hardware. Or... we need access to information to get repairs done without support.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: FireWire

Post by James Steele »

This post qualifies more as a "gripe" or commentary on MOTU company police, hence I moved it into this forum. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Legacy hardware repairs in all areas of manufacturing (not just at MOTU) should more "forgiving" but there are laws limiting mfg liability. Many company's don't even carry parts after a few years. At some point, things become obsolete. Unfortunately, when that happens the only options are replacement or 'self-repairing.' I just hate throwing an otherwise perfectly good piece of hardware into the e-waste pile, but that's kind of what we signed up for.

I am assuming you have actually called MOTU and spoken to someone there? Can you be more specific about what legacy product you are referring to?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
erickorbly

Post by erickorbly »

Bull crap. Nice try. The tech guys at Sweetwater told me that MOTU won’t allow them to work on their gear. Used the word proprietary. Get that? They’re not allowed. That is legally MOTU’s right, but it’s the wrong way to go about life.
MOTU won’t supply them or anyone with any manuals or even some good verbal advice. It’s more than just not serving discontinued products. As a customer I feel neglected. The right thing to do is help your customers by making it somehow possible to get gear repaired. The right thing to do would to do more that just tell us to go fish. The right thing to do.

The 896HD’d are expensive & the little part that’s not working is flimsy. So what you say sounds nice, as in it’s decent PR but ... That’s lame & anyone who thinks about it would likely agree.
The reality is these ports are known to easily fail going back a decade & MOTU allows this to shut down an otherwise fully functional device. Lame. My 896HD’s don’t have scratches, they’re not missing knobs, no switches are broken, never dropped ect...
The issue I take is that these connectors fail so easly it’s not right for MOTU to act as if they bear no responsibility. Be different if the ports were long lasting or readily serviceable.

I’m 100% cool with self repairing or third party repair except now MOTU hasn’t been willing to supply any data, & they’re stingy with advice, forget facilitation.. Other companies aren’t as hard to get info from. Apple, Digitech, Audio Technica, & others don’t do this kind of stuff.

My Audio Technica wireless transmitter pack recently stopped powering up. Getting parts & getting advice & finding repair shops was just some google searches away.

My apologies for any grammatical errors I typed this on my phone.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

8 posts and you have yet to say what the problem is. I'm talking about the real problem with the actual unit.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

erickorbly wrote:Bull crap. Nice try... [?]

My apologies for any grammatical errors I typed this on my phone.
The grammatical errors are the least of your problems...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

erickorbly wrote:Bull crap. Nice try.
I know you're upset about this as witnessed by your numerous postings on this board about this matter in the relatively short time you've been posting here. But people are trying to be helpful... including MLC, to whom your seemingly rude response above was directed. Please try to be civil around here. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!