Where do MAC crash reports go to live (or die)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Where do MAC crash reports go to live (or die)

Post by David Polich »

I’m currently working with Ray of GG Audio,
developer of the B3 organ VI “Blue3”, to
resolve why the current version of Blue3
is causing random crashes in DP 9.5.1.

Here is the scenario..when rendering a
MIDI-triggered Blue3 track to audio,
DP will suddenly freeze and crash.
The generated DP Crash Report just says
DP has crashed due to an “unknown reason”.

The dev wants me to send him the
Mac crash report the next time this happens.

Where do I find the MAC crash report?

Thanks in advance..
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
dubiousmaximus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Where do MAC crash reports go to live (or die)

Post by dubiousmaximus »

Hi David - you can use the Console app which is in Finder under Applications -> Utilities. Recent DP crash reports are written under 'User Reports' and each report name includes a date and timestamp. Right-click on the report name to show the original file, which you can send over to the developer.

This is based on Sierra 10.12.6 when Console got a friendlier rewrite. Earlier versions are more cryptic so you may have to look under ~/Library/Logs -> CrashReporter for DP-related dumps.

Hope that helps.
2.8GHz Quad-Core MacPro | 8 GB | OS 10.12.6 | DP 8.07 | Ableton 9.7 | MOTU 828Mk3 | UAD-2 Duo | MCU | Electribe EMX-1 | x0xb0x | Remote25 SL MkII | NI Komplete 9 | Ozone 5 | MIDIExpress | Heritage H-516 | Fender Std. Tele | Peavey Classic 30
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Where do MAC crash reports go to live (or die)

Post by Babz »

Rather than relying on the standard Apple system for crash reports, at some point in the past MOTU adopted a system that relies on Google Breakpad. This client-server system allows the crash reports to go to MOTU but makes them inaccessible to the end user like us trying to work with third party developers to troubleshoot problems.

I have an AppleScript applet that my friend sent me that can temporarily turn off Breakpad for a session so you can retrieve crash reports and send them to developers. I have had great success working with several third-party developers (e.g, Arturia) who were able to fix problems based on crash reports I was able to send them.

I just noticed this post, and I hope that you have already resolved the issue. But if you still need it, PM me and I will send you the script.

Best,
Babz

P.S. I should add that I haven’t used this script in a long time and for all I know it may no longer work in current versions of the MacOS. It is also possible that MOTU no longer uses the Breakpad system. I haven’t kept up on this in recent years. I’m reasonably sure they still do, but as of this moment I have not tested the script in a year or more. And I am on El Capitan so I have no way to test on current MacOS.