Samplemodeling/SWAM WTH??

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Samplemodeling/SWAM WTH??

Post by cuttime »

mhschmieder wrote:Registering at the Audio Modeling customer portal was simple and painless -- only one step vs. three as before. You provide one of your library licenses when you register, and it has all of your information stored already, as long as you use the same email address as before.
I wish I could say the same. I registered, provided my Licence Keys, and got "You've got a mail, check" (sic). It's been this way for three days and I never get the email. I've checked my address over and over, turned off my spam filters, and...nothing. I've tried contacting them and I don't get any response. I tried re-registering my key and it says it is already confirmed and to wait for the email. Clearly something is wrong and if it is something I'm doing I'd like a hint.
AND, I repeated this process with four different browsers :banghead:
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The Xsample folks got back to me and explained that the bogus "insufficient amount" error message after the PayPal payment was due to multiple discounts being applied this weekend, and some quirk in the payment handshaking.

I have installed all of the add-on instruments and the two extended library editions that I bought yesterday, and am very impressed even before digging in with their extensive programming and customization. I do feel these are the best-recorded samples next to VSL. Also, they are the only ones (besides some small vendors with mediocre quality libraries) to cover "Clarinet in A".

Note that they are also one of the few vendors to support breath mode directly, but I haven't really checked into that deeply yet. My recollection is that Miroslav dropped that from the recent release and that it is only available in the older edition, whose content is thankfully also included in the new update at least.

No word back from Audio Modeling yet regarding a loyalty discount for the string bundle, which presumably would make it cheaper than buying Double Bass on its own before the Black Friday discount expires (whenever that is). I'm curious how well it handles jazz pizzicato playing.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

So a nabbed up the Saxes bundle and as a goofy experiment, made some really schmaltzy smooth jazz from a video game tune using my Roli. Gotta admit, the alto (at least, I haven't tried the others) sound really great to my ears, and this is just one of about 12 models each instrument has.

https://youtu.be/o4l6IwuEKRc
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It has been confirmed via the Samplemodeling forum, that the Double Bass is not intended for jazz and does not include a proper pizzicato style for jazz playing.

Probably it is not OK to cut/paste what was written there, but everyone knows how to get there from here, and the feedback for orchestral style bass is fairly positive.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

cuttime wrote: I registered, provided my Licence Keys, and got "You've got a mail, check" (sic). It's been this way for three days and I never get the email. I've checked my address over and over, turned off my spam filters, and...nothing. I've tried contacting them and I don't get any response. I tried re-registering my key and it says it is already confirmed and to wait for the email. Clearly something is wrong and if it is something I'm doing I'd like a hint.
I finally solved my registration problem by contacting their old email address info@swamengine.com if anyone else is having problems. The new strings v.2 sounds fantastic, BTW.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Cool; good to hear. I didn't try the new strings updates yet as I was focusing on piano and winds parts yesterday. May give them a try this afternoon.

Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

mhschmieder wrote:It has been confirmed via the Samplemodeling forum, that the Double Bass is not intended for jazz and does not include a proper pizzicato style for jazz playing.
Good to know, but not wholy unexpected, as it's obviously meant as an addition to the current strings line, which is orchestral. I was a little confused myself, and figured they probably have a pizz setting in there, but it's not intended for constant playing. Typically jazz basses are setup and played a bit differently between jazz and orchestral style, even with pizz: different strings, lower action, less bridge arch, and the fingering placement is usually different.

The one thing I would check, before putting this issue to rest, is that each SWAM instrument model includes a number of different instrument models in it's interface, but that option is a little buried, it wouldn't surprise me if they made a model that's setup better for jazz/rock&roll pizz.

MEANWHILE, I was getting my Wayne Shorter on trying out some Tenor Sax material. The Saxes are just positively glorious!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I never received a reply from Audio Modeling, so will skip the Double Bass as I'd rather have the upgrade path as before, if only because it simplifies updates as you have fewer licenses to deal with.

So I'd rather do the Strings package, even if an adjusted price matches the current (about-to-expire) discount on Double Bass, as otherwise I'll always have four vs. one double-handshakes to do every time there's an update.