Gibson Kills Cakewalk

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Gibson Kills Cakewalk

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, that's how Henry rolls.

1. Buy a company for way too much money because they've got some little piece of tech you want
2. Ignore everything that the company was founded on
3. Shift all R&D to ideas for Gibson Guitars that users will hate
4. Rush off and make another bad acquisition, while ignoring the last one
5. Close down the last acquisition, because you didn't know how to make money with it, anyway.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Gibson-Announcement
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
stubbsonic

Re: Gibson Kills Cakewalk

Post by stubbsonic »

Z3ta is a pretty cool synth. It's one of a kind in a few ways-- best-in-class mod matrix, tuning maps, polyphonic-scale-constrained pitch-bending!!! (e.g., bend your diatonic triads to the next scale notes up or down), weirdly versatile wave-shaping, etc. But it was an unfinished beast. If they had invested in developing it, it would have more than a cult following.

I don't think I ever used their DAW/Sequencer.

Sometimes these big financial maneuvers are like flushing some opportunities down the toilet.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Again?

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

But, but, but... Me no comprende.... Wasn't Sonar the evolved result of Cakewalk? Like Performer and Digital Performer?
Or did they branch out independently?

Cakewalk was my first sequencer. I still use it occasionaly to convert from .wrk to .MID for ancient projects I re-do better.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

AFAIK, Sonar is one of the Cakewalk-branded products that will cease to be developed or produced.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Every now and then I still fire up Opcode Overture when someone wants DMCS files converted to MIDI. Opcode Systems was bought by Gibson in 1998 and it bit the dust in 1999.

Gibson owns 54% of TEAC/TASCAM last time I checked. :shake:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Oh, I see. Thanks Jim.

SO, would it be accurate to say it was the last PC-only DAW left?

I wonder what the pro DAW market looks like now... So we have:
DP
PT
Logic
Cubase
Nuendo
Studio One (FL)
The Unmentionable One
Garage Band (although I wouldn't consider this one a pro DAW)

They all seem to have their own specialized niche.
That's pretty much it today, right?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just saw some local musician friends of mine bemoaning this development. Now's the time to remind those people that MOTU has a 30 day free demo of DP for Windows.

Not the first time Gibson did something like this. Can't help think about how they managed to ruin Opcode and Studio Vision Pro.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Beat me to it (I saw this elsewhere earlier today). News like this travels fast!

My bandmates in various bands mostly used Cakewalk DAW's over the years. At one point, Sonar and DP were arguably the two most "traditional workflow" friendly DAW's aside with ProTools (which at the time couldn't do MIDI).

Z3ta+ is cool and Rapture Pro is pretty good as well (except for periodic installation/update/authorization issues), so I hope those will continue in some form. But most of the Sonar users I know have moved on, so probably it wasn't being maintained too well the past few years (just a guess).

Given Cakewalk's proximity to MOTU, hopefully many of their better people can find jobs there. And maybe MOTU can buy the VI's and plug-in effects, if Gibson is willing to parcel stuff off.

It's been pointed out that the DRM in Z3ta+ and Rapture Pro will probably render them unusable in short order. That's a bummer as I have especially grown to like Z3ta+ synth bass patches as ones that are warm and cut through a mix without being overly-dominant like a Minimoog can often be.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:My bandmates in various bands mostly used Cakewalk DAW's over the years. At one point, Sonar and DP were arguably the two most "traditional workflow" friendly DAW's aside with ProTools (which at the time couldn't do MIDI).
I've used Cakewalk back when there was a guy named Gregg Henderschott doing everything and the company was called Twelve Tone Systems. My IBM PC days on DOS. Cakewalk 1.0. Had a pseudo GUI using ASCII characters to simulate a piano scroll view. LOL Sigh... getting old. LOL
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Donate it to a museum. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

FMiguelez wrote:Oh, I see. Thanks Jim.

SO, would it be accurate to say it was the last PC-only DAW left?

I wonder what the pro DAW market looks like now... So we have:
DP
PT
Logic
Cubase
Nuendo
Studio One (FL)
The Unmentionable One
Garage Band (although I wouldn't consider this one a pro DAW)

They all seem to have their own specialized niche.
That's pretty much it today, right?
Also Ableton Live.

And Bitwig.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Babz wrote: Also Ableton Live.
Of course! :)
Babz wrote: And Bitwig.
I had never heard about that one before.

Oh, I also forgot to mention Reason.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Also the former Tracktion, now re-branded (and radically re-done) as Waveform. But it's limited in scope, so not really a pro audio DAW.

Propellorhead Reason, and Fruity Loops (FL Studio) are used by many, I guess in a similar way to Ableton Live (mostly looping, and primarily MIDI vs. audio).

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

They couldn't make a go of Sonar? Idiots? Hedge fund?

On the plus side, there's an opportunity for MOTU to expand the Windows base.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8