Gibson Kills Cakewalk

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Gibson Kills Cakewalk

Post by Prime Mover »

:( This makes me very sad. Cakewalk 9 (and then very quickly soon after, Sonar) was the very first DAW I started with. I did about a third of my music degree using it. Another third with ProTools, then DP5. It had some nice features back in the day... I haven't used it for 15 years though.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

apparently Gibson is hemorrhaging, it's not the same sort of reason for crapping on the software division I think they had for letting Opcode die, but it sure feels the same..

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1428061 ... -debt.html

The worst part to me is I've always liked their guitars, own a 1978 Les Paul Pro, inherited a 75 Gibson Ripper and a J-160 from my stepfather.. Thankfully to me anyway all previous to the current CEO, but it's still a lame thing. My absolute favorite guitar looks wise of all time is a black Gibson Les Paul Custom with gold hardware, out of my price range now, and sadly the company is steered by someone running it ashore...

Someone mentioned, MOTU will get some good employees maybe if they want to. IMO they did some good plug ins, Z3ta+2, Harmor etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Gibson didn't let Opcode die. They tried to save it with a huge infusion of cash, but it was too little, too late: Opcode was on life support when Gibson owned them, and they didn't pull through.

But what they're doing with Cakewalk and Tascam/TEAC is pretty sad for we long-term home recordists. I hope this means more evaluations and eventual purchases of DP 9.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

IMHO: Norlin wrecked Gibson... then the rest followed suit.

They still make a few decent guitars, but they’ll never be the company they were when they were headquartered in Kalamazoo. Here’s a relic:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2545253 ... 757589633/
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Meanwhile, Epiphone quality has upped considerably over the past two years, just like Squier did a few years prior.

I have bought three top-end Epiphone instruments recently (none of them solid bodies) and even my picky guitar tech has been wildly impressed by the workmanship, playability, necks, and design concepts.

I thought Gibson had switched to being employee-owned and was going to get more "artist" input (maybe I should say "artisan" as "artist" might imply "performer") as a result?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Gravity Jim wrote:Gibson didn't let Opcode die. They tried to save it with a huge infusion of cash, but it was too little, too late: Opcode was on life support when Gibson owned them, and they didn't pull through.

But what they're doing with Cakewalk and Tascam/TEAC is pretty sad for we long-term home recordists. I hope this means more evaluations and eventual purchases of DP 9.
I’ve never heard Gibson’s treatment of Opcode portrayed that way. I suppose that’s the perspective Gibson had on it, but the common narrative was/is that There was disagreement with the Opcode team on the direction to take Vision, and Gibson stopped development effectively killing the DAW. the truth is somewhere in the middle I would guess, but it’s obvious that Gibson does not value their software assets highly from their actions around them.

i would guess both Microsoft and MOTU get a chance at grabbing talent. Microsoft actually posted a recruitment statement for audio developers over at KVR a few weeks ago. Folks not wanting to move from Mass. will likely look at MOTU for sure! :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, I know what the popular opinion was, but Opcode was weeks from shuttering the place, so they were looking for an emergency sugar papa. It's too bad it ended up being Gibson, but with their cash, they would have croaked much sooner.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's not unlikely that Gibson thought they might be able to revive Opcode. Whoever does mergers and acquisitions there has an odd approach according to analysts who point out they are not going to save their company by buying low growth companies that face the same industry issues they are trying to solve (like Cakewalk).

Analysts' warning is that investors will not get their money back, let alone a profit. Their debt is too far gone, and their cost reductions programs reduce income faster than costs.

They have a huge inventory. If they go under, what would that be worth? You might almost wonder if the plan is to strip mine the assets and cash flow ($1.2B rev annually) and dump the debt on the unsuspecting tax base.

Meanwhile on Monday, I found a really nice 1996 LH LP for C$599 and bought it. Sometime early 2018 Gibson could default and my LP might be worth a lot more.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mhschmieder wrote:Meanwhile, Epiphone quality has upped considerably over the past two years
I agree. I got a LH Epiphone 335 a while back, beautifully made and sounds just right.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Gibson dumped the Banjo division when it was making only $1M annually. The flood was only an excuse.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MatFluor
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by MatFluor »

Hi there, just registered ;-)

Count me as a "Sonar Refugee" I'm that sense. I purchased it not so long ago and am - not happy about this decision.

But life and work goes on, and luckily I have only one Project to finish before I can switch without pressure.

I'm just waiting for tomorrow (Black Friday) and hope that Motu maybe will have a sale, but I honestly don't know. After evaluating DP in the past, I'm pretty confident.

In short: I chose Sonar over DP not so long ago because the UI of DP was mostly unreadable (blurry font issue) - that literally was the tipping point for me. Now I found a theme that makes this issue better, although still there (Windows obviously).

So, looking forward to join the MOTUNation in these dark times.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Welcome!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

MatFluor wrote:I'm just waiting for tomorrow (Black Friday) and hope that Motu maybe will have a sale, but I honestly don't know.
SONAR is one of the products MOTU accepts for a competitive upgrade. You can get DP for $395.

https://motu.com/store_products/softwar ... grade-info
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I am heavily proselytizing DP on the keyboard forum. It's amazing how many don't know about it, or write it off because it doesn't get much press compared to others.

I was reminded that StudioOne (the usual recommendation being given to people) doesn't yet support AAF or OMF. DP probably still has the most file compatibility of any DAW.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dix

Post by dix »

Gravity Jim wrote:Gibson didn't let Opcode die. They tried to save it with a huge infusion of cash, but it was too little, too late: Opcode was on life support when Gibson owned them, and they didn't pull through.

What I wondered at the time when Gibson let StudioVision die, and still wonder in the case of Cakewalk, is why wouldn't Gibson release the patents and source-code and let the app be open-source? Why kill it and screw all the users? ...I'm envisioning a situation like Linux where various companies, such as Red Hat, package open-source code. As I recall there were Opcode programmers at the time that were advocating for this.

Btw, one of the rumored reasons that Gibson didn't release StudioVision into the public domain is that they had lost source-code!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com