MIDI Quest for iPad

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Quest for iPad

Post by stubbsonic »

Yikes. On one hand, I can see that this is very specialized work, and it won't garner the same volume of sales as some other kinds of apps-- hence the boutique pricing. But gosh, $119 is pretty startling for the K2500R.

I almost wish he could do some kind of "group buy" thing, where he get's folks to click to say they are interested-- then he could develop a price based on that many people. I don't know how many K2500s are floating around where people want editor/librarians, so I couldn't begin to guess what a reasonable price is.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

cuttime wrote:I've been Googling around on MidiQuesti, and it looks like absolutely no one has been able to get it to work. I would at least like to get it up to speed in a demo mode to see if the seemingly high profile prices are remotely justifiable.
It’s quirky, definitely, but I have gotten it to work as an editor/ librarian. I have NOT tried the DAW plugin version of any of the editors as they seem especially problematic.

There are really no alternatives out there.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

OT, but not really. MIDI Designer Pro 2 on sale:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/MIDI-de ... 91712?mt=8
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Not off-topic. MIDI Designer is really amazing, and that developer has been taking an excellent project and continuing to make it better. He's got a very active beta team. (I'm on that team, but am not very "active" in that regard).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

?? MIDI Designer is a substitute for MIDI Quest? How so?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:?? MIDI Designer is a substitute for MIDI Quest? How so?
They have some profiles that were constructed by the community, but a very limited number of them. I have MIDI 77 for instance, which functions as an editor, but not a librarian. Even as an editor it has limited functionality, so it's not really a substitute. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/md77-ya ... 64933?mt=8
In theory any editor could be constructed, but that's beyond my knowledge or patience.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. I didn't think it would be. For me an editor is more of a convenience than a necessity. If there was something not too expensive and works, I'd go for it. Hope he gets this working well.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
SoundQuest1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by SoundQuest1 »

cuttime wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:I haven't been able to do a single thing with it, because of the memory error. They quickly released an update that appears to have solved nothing.
Yeah, me too on an iPad2 64.
Uninstall the current version and install the 1.0.5 release or higher and there is much improved memory management. (It is important that the latest instrument modules get installed as they contain updated information on memory requirements) If your iPad 2 has only a 1/2GB of RAM then you may have some memory issues depending on the instruments you are working with. Most iPads have 1+GB of memory and any of these should be able to handle most multi-instrument home studio configurations.
SoundQuest1

Post by SoundQuest1 »

stubbsonic wrote:Looks like the K2500R is there, but not the K2661. No Lexicon MPX-1, either. It's understandable. With all the different MIDI devices out there, you can't cover ALL of them!

With both the Kurzweils & Lexicon, it would be nice to have a larger screen editor. I don't really need patch management for either.

When it comes to realtime control, MIDI Designer is taking the cake.
We spoke to Kurzweil years ago about supporting the K series beyond the 2500 and we were told that the multiple sales and moves of the company had resulted in the complete loss of documentation on these units. Unless Kurzweil can come up with documentation, it seems unlikely that it would ever be possible to create editors for units like the K2661.
SoundQuest1

Post by SoundQuest1 »

terrybritton wrote:I am saddened to hear that the developer Michael Lambie (a nice guy and always willing to help) has run into issues with this latest release. I'm certain this project has been taking up much of his time, and consequently has caused a large postponement of the release of any updates to MidiQuest 11.03 (which I have owned for several years and love!)

The sooner these issues are ironed out, the sooner he can return to updating the 11.03 Desktop version, so I certainly hope they are fixed quickly!

Meanwhile, I cannot recommend the desktop version highly enough. Very powerful software.

Terry
Hello Terry, thanks for the comments. At this point, the major iPad issues have been addressed based on the feedback coming in. There are a couple of outstanding issues and we're waiting for Apple to ok and release the 1.0.6 update to the app store to address these.

For MIDI Quest on Mac and Windows, the delay has been a result of waiting for updates for a small amount of 3rd party code. These updates have just been released so MIDI Quest 12 will be arriving shortly. The new release will feature major changes to the Mac version, the addition of AAX and VST3 plug-in support, and the addition of many new instrument modules to the MIDI Quest instrument support list.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

SoundQuest1 wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Looks like the K2500R is there, but not the K2661.
We spoke to Kurzweil years ago about supporting the K series beyond the 2500 and we were told that the multiple sales and moves of the company had resulted in the complete loss of documentation on these units. Unless Kurzweil can come up with documentation, it seems unlikely that it would ever be possible to create editors for units like the K2661.
Yea, I recently was reading about the 'hostility' of that take-over. Lots of lost work. Tragic, really.

Their comeback is truly a triumph over adversity.

Thanks for coming on here and giving us some info. I see there've been a couple updates addressing errors. I'll give it another try.

For Mac, there was an editor called VAST Programmer that used java. It used the "screen grab" functions that remained in the K2 series (which, as I understand it, had something to do with helping Stevie Wonder and other visually impaired users to interact with the synth). It also replicated some moves by using the sysex of the buttons, scroll wheel and data slider. Sadly, that developer has not been in contact with anyone for a while now.

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

SoundQuest1 wrote:
terrybritton wrote:I am saddened to hear that the developer Michael Lambie (a nice guy and always willing to help) has run into issues with this latest release. I'm certain this project has been taking up much of his time, and consequently has caused a large postponement of the release of any updates to MidiQuest 11.03 (which I have owned for several years and love!)

The sooner these issues are ironed out, the sooner he can return to updating the 11.03 Desktop version, so I certainly hope they are fixed quickly!

Meanwhile, I cannot recommend the desktop version highly enough. Very powerful software.

Terry
Hello Terry, thanks for the comments. At this point, the major iPad issues have been addressed based on the feedback coming in. There are a couple of outstanding issues and we're waiting for Apple to ok and release the 1.0.6 update to the app store to address these.

For MIDI Quest on Mac and Windows, the delay has been a result of waiting for updates for a small amount of 3rd party code. These updates have just been released so MIDI Quest 12 will be arriving shortly. The new release will feature major changes to the Mac version, the addition of AAX and VST3 plug-in support, and the addition of many new instrument modules to the MIDI Quest instrument support list.
That’s wonderful to hear. Quirks and all, MQ is Extremely useful for keeping my hardware integrated and relevant in my studio. Looking forward to v12.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com