Charlie Puth -Attention

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Charlie Puth -Attention

Post by Phil O »

Gravity Jim wrote:You want to hear killer modern production? If you haven't already, check out Beck's "Midnight Vultures."
Thanks Jim, I'm on my way out the door in a few minutes so I'll check it out in the morning and get back to you. I was hoping someone would reply with other stuff to check out when I posted. :wink:

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Lest I sound too hip to admit liking it [ :wink: ] let me explain WHY I didn't go for it. First was the autotune voice sound. I disliked that when Cher did it in Believe in Magic, and still do. That happened early on in the song. I know some singers are just doing that with their voice, now, so maybe it wasn't autotune; I still do not like it. I have had to rerecord parts when the singer was doing a melisma and it came out like that. (BTW; I've never made it clear through a single Britney Spears song.)

Second, the song sounded like it was trying to be all things to all listeners. Sometimes that works; the first time I was aware of it and remember it being kinda cool was Classical Gas (wow... dates me) which incorporated baroque and classical elements into a pop beat. And of course I can name a hundred others, prior and since, and people do it all the time to great benefit, but this one took it a few styles too far, and not very creatively, IMO.

Third: disjointed. It was like a Lego building whose kid decided "wait, let's put supersonic wings on it," then "add wheels, a pond and a staircase, and we're done!"

Engineering was great. No complaints there; just whoever was guiding the process was maybe misguided.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Shooshie, you are one hip dude, and I mean that in a most complimentary way. :D

Thank goodness for the diversity in humanity! As long as we remain willing to listen and learn from each other, there is hope.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:Thank goodness for the diversity in humanity! As long as we remain willing to listen and learn from each other, there is hope.
[fingers in ear, jumping up and down...]
I can't HEAR YOU!!!! :mumble:

What's that? Hope? Bwaahhahaha... That's right, dearie... just keep listening. Hope, it is! Keep on listening. The insanity is only temporary. Really. Just keep on hoping... heheheheheheh....

:lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Gravity Jim wrote:You want to hear killer modern production? If you haven't already, check out Beck's "Midnight Vultures."
Finally got a chance to listen to some of this. Definitely some great engineering there. Even if you hate Beck, you have to admire the guy/gal behind the console/DAW. I love the stereo image.

BTW, for those discussing the merits of the song "Attention" I will reiterate. I'm not talking about the song. I'm talking about the engineering.

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.