Tom Petty

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tom Petty

Post by Frodo »

Another chapter of rock history is complete.

Tom Petty
1950-2017

RIP
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
stubbsonic

Re: Tom Petty

Post by stubbsonic »

One of my heroes. He wrote songs that were never self-important, but also never trivial. Just had a way, that guy.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote:He wrote songs that were never self-important, but also never trivial. Just had a way, that guy.
Hear, hear!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

This one has hit me hard like Hendrix. Have to read his book again after this has sunk in.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

My rock cover band does five of his songs. It will be hard to play them at next rehearsal without tearing up.

Petty was one of my heroes, and a bridge between two musical generations.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

I was very sad to hear this! He wrote some great tunes..... Rest In Peace Tom!
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

What can be said? I remember posting on here a while back that I watched an Austin City Limits show featuring Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and was just amazed because I'd forgotten the sheer volume of hits Tom Petty had written. Each song was like "Oh wow! I forgot about THAT one! He wrote that too?!" I think songwriting is really one of the most important skills one can develop. I know many, many musicians who are very proficient technically but don't seem to have the knack for writing great songs, and without that... well what do you have?

Since Tom passed away, I think I've watched the video for Free Fallin' no less than 10 times. That song always connected with me. There are so many ways to interpret the lyrics, which is good as it connects with so many people that way. Also, after listening to it so many times, you could recognize really cool things he did with the arrangement and certain elements that come in, go out, and then all combine at the end. Just extremely well constructed and carefully thought out.

He was really a master and an enormous talent. Don't know if the pop/rock world has anybody on the bench that's up to the task of coming into the game and picking up the slack. I kind of doubt it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!