FMiguelez--R U OK?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: FMiguelez--R U OK?

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:One lesson repeatedly offered: integrate adequate reinforcing steel when building with concrete.
That one is pretty clear. Most of the schools here were build about 100 years ago with brick and concrete and no steel. There is a long term project to retrofit or replace them. I worked in a building of the same vintage for years. When the owner applied for permits to replace it, the city slapped a heritage plaque on it, so the owner removed much of the interior, built a steel frame just inside the exterior walls and left it an indoor garden.

Getting the buildings in shape is one thing: I was watching the excellent emergency response.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: FMiguelez--R U OK?

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:One lesson repeatedly offered: integrate adequate reinforcing steel when building with concrete.
That one is pretty clear. Most of the schools here were build about 100 years ago with brick and concrete and no steel. There is a long term project to retrofit or replace them. I worked in a building of the same vintage for years. When the owner applied for permits to replace it, the city slapped a heritage plaque on it, so the owner removed much of the interior, built a steel frame just inside the exterior walls and left it an indoor garden.

Getting the buildings in shape is one thing: I was watching the excellent emergency response.
This reminds me> And now we're dealing with some "nice and expected surprises" down here...

Turns out, that most of the buildings that fell down in the city, even a school where children died because of the earthquake, were poorly constructed with subpar materials. Other buildings had already been damaged during previous earthquakes and were poorly "restored"... You know, so they could save a few bucks on shittty materials. And these are the consequences. Now, the affected families are seeking justice to confront these architects. Of course, in a country that ranks in the first places in the world's most corrupted countries list, that won't be possible. As usual, poor people will suffer and won't see any justice. Nope. The builders will, of course, be protected by our corrupt officials and money interests. I would bet my right arm they are into this racket neck-deep as well.

Ah, the beauty of the Third World and its rampant corruption in every imaginable facet of life.
Any of you guys wish to trade citizenship with me?????? I'd love something like Canada, or a quite beautiful wooded area in the States... I wouldn't mind Europe either. Almost anything must be better than this hell whole! :brucelee:

So if you ever want to buy a house here (don't), you'd have to hire an independent 3rd party just to check on the quality of the materials and construction of your property. Or else....

Sorry about my little rant, but I hadn't had a good one in a while. And I'm disgusted by the people and system that are supposed to look after us. These were just a few of the more obvious consequences :(

Oh, and I don't mean to delve into politics, but the nature of these findings are a bit of that. I hope you guys appreciate, even with your current problems, how lucky you are of not living in a 3rd World country. I should shut up now before I get into trouble for mentioning all this here.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman