Let the DP hating begin..

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Let the DP hating begin..

Post by David Polich »

I'm already seeing DP 9.5 "hater" posts on Gearslutz. With the usual dubious claims like
"DP's market share has been in steady decline", "it's over for DP", "DP is so far behind
the curve"...blah blah.

Haven't checked the other forums like VI Control or KVR Audio but I'm gonna guess there's
more haters on those forums as well..
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Let the DP hating begin..

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Man, don't spoil it. Let them think their DAW is the best. We'll get done faster than them and snag their gigs. Get with the plan! LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Presuming the wannabes on GearSlutz have any gigs to snag.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

:rofl:
Gravity Jim wrote:Presuming the wannabes on GearSlutz have any gigs to snag.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'd like to know if all these packages we're so far behind can do all the traditional, real, old-fashioned music the way we do it in DP. It's been so long since I used the other ones, now, that I don't really remember much about them, except Logic and some memories of PT, but how many of those other platforms are easy for writing a score with reasonably usable mockup for full orchestra, to picture or not? I really am asking; I don't know. I mean, is DP behind? Behind what? I still record and mix in excellent time. I think my output is decent. I don't know how to make it sound better than it sounds, and when I compare to commercial stuff on the market today — both old and new — it sounds technically as good or better than 99% of it, so what's really not to like about DP? Is there an actual basis for any of those claims? I mean, outside of some platform-specific plugin that some cool guy has decided he can't live without?

In my last project, I stupidly used the 32 bits FP format for audio. It stretched the limits of my plugins, so I found myself resorting to a nearly all MOTU plugin mix. I'm so glad I did, because it's amazing. I may never use Waves again! (then again... I've always liked their plugins) It's just nice to know that the MOTU plugins are genuinely so good. Solid sound without artifacts, the results equal what you do in your moves. I mean it's audible as you work, and you know exactly what you're getting and why. I don't use any of those bells-&-whistles plugins with engineers names on them. I like knowing exactly what I'm getting is exactly what I'm doing, and that's what MOTU plugins deliver.

I've heard idiots say for years that DP suffers in MIDI, and yet I consider it over the top in MIDI. I work so fast and so clean in MIDI that it would blind you. Well... I did back when I was doing MIDI 36 hours a day every day for a living. It's an amazing app if you know how to use it.

And that's probably the problem: it takes a long time to get really proficient at DP. Time to make some videos. And that brings up another thing; we've got a great user-base. People who really want to help, not cut you down and show you how much better they are than you.

So what's not to like?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote:
So what's not to like?
DP doesn't have THE feature where you press a button and music magically appears with no effort or knowledge on your part... It's like such a bad DAW that it's behind its time! You like can't do beats and riffs man :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

FMiguelez wrote: DP doesn't have THE feature where you press a button and music magically appears with no effort or knowledge on your part...
That'll be legal in about 38 states come 2018... :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:
Shooshie wrote:
So what's not to like?
DP doesn't have THE feature where you press a button and music magically appears with no effort or knowledge on your part... It's like such a bad DAW that it's behind its time! You like can't do beats and riffs man :smash:
I knew Garageband, and DP is no Garageband! :shock:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

The complaint I hear most is that DP is "stuck in a '90s paradigm" (the word "paradigm" is always a trigger warning for me). I'm not really sure what that means, but I think it means that the tape recorder analogy is somehow dated, and what people really want is DJ mixing and loops.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, that "stuck in the 90's" phrase seems pretty empty to me.

A case could be made for adding a few more recently popular features-- as 9.5 has slam-dunked.

But the idea of changing the workflow in favor of a more loop-friendly one, would be a tragic loss of what makes DP special.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote:Yea, that "stuck in the 90's" phrase seems pretty empty to me.

A case could be made for adding a few more recently popular features-- as 9.5 has slam-dunked.

But the idea of changing the workflow in favor of a more loop-friendly one, would be a tragic loss of what makes DP special.
I love DP's workflow for anything; just used it to do a very loop-oriented pop piece. It so happens I actually created most of the loops, BTW.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Yea, that "stuck in the 90's" phrase seems pretty empty to me.

I love DP's workflow for anything; just used it to do a very loop-oriented pop piece. It so happens I actually created most of the loops, BTW.
Ha! What we all know is that it's not the name of the studio out front that makes a record special, it's the guys and girls inside whose names never appear on the albums that make all the difference. Just like making your own loops rather than using the designer brands.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Mostly in my experience the biggest haters of DP are users of DP who have a bug that they find to be crippling, who haven't tried enough other DAWs to realize that all of them have some bug somewhere. On that line everyone who believes that PreGen is responsible for cpu overload glitches etc. in DP needs to us the new Effect Performance feature to see what's going on
So what's not to like?
I suppose if you were a person who loved splitting their keyboard between two soft synths, and used absolute snap to grid all the time you might like other DAWs as DP doesn't do those things. There are of course ways around that, but if you're dependent on those features then you would think DP wasn't as good as Logic etc. The fact that DP allows for greater freedom in rearranging a song etc. than any DAW I've used for most of us makes up for simple snap to grid issues etc.

Back to people with issues with PreGen, I'm seeing far far more cpu use with the plug ins that are Real Time, and surprised at how many run in a typical track for me, aux, side chain, multi out instruments are all Real time. Just curious since I can't see any way the Effect Performance feature couldn't help with finding the causes? Please don't be that person that already believes the answer is DPs code is bad! too many of us don't use critical thinking skills. :x
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Michael Canavan wrote:...too many of us don't use critical thinking skills. :x
I tend to over use my critical talking skills. Just my critical thinking escaping through my mouth, butt it still gets me into trouble. (I meant but.) (I meant butt.)

See what I mean!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Just my critical thinking escaping through my mouth, butt it still gets me into trouble. (I meant but.) (I meant butt.)

See what I mean!!!
I see what you meant to mean. :rofl: