Let the DP hating begin..

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Let the DP hating begin..

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I can take that one step further, but do I dare? Know what I meat?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I can take that one step further, but do I dare? Know what I meat?
I don't know if I know what you meat.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I'll meet you half way...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Michael Canavan wrote:Mostly in my experience the biggest haters of DP are users of DP who have a bug that they find to be crippling, who haven't tried enough other DAWs to realize that all of them have some bug somewhere.
Well, that would explain the additional "energy" fueled by personal frustration. (I've certainly gone through frustrating periods from time to time, even a little hating-- I'm not proud.)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Seems like a lot of the grousing comes from people who want to work with loops and are doing building-block cut and paste stuff. Probably a lot of pre-fab loops. Interesting to me. It's like saying you're video producer but you don't know how to use a camera. You just assemble pre-fab video clips into something and say you created it. I dunno. I'm just a dumb rock guy. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

stubbsonic wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:Mostly in my experience the biggest haters of DP are users of DP who have a bug that they find to be crippling, who haven't tried enough other DAWs to realize that all of them have some bug somewhere.
Well, that would explain the additional "energy" fueled by personal frustration. (I've certainly gone through frustrating periods from time to time, even a little hating-- I'm not proud.)
Yeah me too, but having used plenty of DAWs now, I just don't see the point of whinging about a particular DAW. State the bug, maybe confirm it on a public forum, report it, come up with a workaround or move on to another DAW.
I get how people become advocates, kind of walking advertisements for a particular DAW, I've certainly done that with all the DAWs I've used, and maybe that fuels the vitriol when a bug isn't addressed quickly enough etc. ? All I know is DP certainly gets more than it's share of people acting like MOTU have sinned against god and man when they can't figure out a bug they have that may or may not be MOTU's fault, and it maybe seems to me a little more heat than I see Live getting from users, and Live isn't that much more stable than DP, it's eats way more CPU etc.
James Steele wrote:Seems like a lot of the grousing comes from people who want to work with loops and are doing building-block cut and paste stuff. Probably a lot of pre-fab loops. Interesting to me. It's like saying you're video producer but you don't know how to use a camera. You just assemble pre-fab video clips into something and say you created it. I dunno. I'm just a dumb rock guy. :)
That's certainly true in the sense that people who use only VSTi's from beginning to end, pure electronic or computer based musicians, especially those with little training on any traditional instrument are probably the least likely DP users, but that's not saying that later on they might be looking at DP. In a way I think MOTU should not shy away from it's perception as complicated, it might be a saving grace in it's battle for the hearts and minds of Garageband and FL Studio users when dealing with the hype powerhouses that are Cubase and Logic.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

So far the biggest complaint I see from these DP haters on Gearslutz is "the mini-menus are too
small". Followed by "the GUI needs a complete overhaul". Followed by general comments that
MOTU is "stuck in the 90's". A couple of them seem to be Studio One users. One of them appears to be a Reaper user.

It's pointless to argue with these people - their minds are made up against DP and MOTU. Suggest they simply download the 30-day demo - they won't do it.

My mantra nowadays is, if I don't like a product, don't say anything. I've certainly purchased my fair share of duds. But I also know that software devs put their hearts and souls into their products and
deserve respect for doing so. Especially MOTU, and in particular Magic Dave, who has tirelessly
worked to improve DP, often without a lot of thanks. No software dev gets into business to get rich. They get into it because they love what they do, and hope to get paid enough to continue doing it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

One thing that will cause me to make a bit of a stink in comments is when a software developer makes absurd, over-the-top claims about how their software "breaks new ground" or produces "infinite possibilities" or offers "whole new worlds"-- but this is because the developer's world is so teeny tiny.

For example, let's say it's a virtual drum machine, with "-ology" as part of its name, and it opens up "new worlds of rhythm". But it only offers 4/4 and 4 steps per beat. That kinda $#!+ makes my head explode. :mumble:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

HCMarkus wrote:It so happens I actually created most of the loops, BTW.
This is an outrage!
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Good grief, I hate DP so much. It is such a joy to use that it makes me want to work all the time. I need to be doing other things; enjoying life. But this darn siren seductress of a DAW just keeps whispering "click on me" into my ear, and well, you know how I hate offers I can't refuse! I hate it! I just HATE it! But only because I love it too much. Why can't DP be like those other DAWs that are so easy to put down, quit, and walk away from? I love those, because I never want to use them, and I end up never working; just making excuses. "uh... yeah... about tomorrow... I got called away on an important mission to record the harmony of the spheres. We'll have to reschedule once they've all converged."
—"But that'll be in about 500 million years."
"Yeah, that's about right. How about Tuesday, 500 million years from now?"

But DP, I end up saying "Well, I can work till midnight tonight, and if you want to keep going till daybreak, that's cool, too. Probably could keep going till Tuesday, 500 million years from now." See why I hate it so much?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote: It is such a joy to use that it makes me want to work all the time. ...

Shooshie
Yeppers!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

The thread on Gearslutz has devolved to the point where people right here on this forum are
being called out by name for their "arrogance and condescension". Shooshie has escaped the
wrath of the haters and gets a good mark. I personally have been the subject of pretty severe
personal attacks on the thread. Motunation has been characterized as a bunch of elitist snobs who don't want DP improved in any way, and who will mercilessly pounce on anyone who dares
criticize DP.

I have decided not to post on Gearslutz anymore. That community has finally gone the way of
KVR Audio - unless you hate MOTU, UA, Dave Smith Instruments, Roland Cloud, and love Acustica, Ableton Live, and Reaper, you're not welcome there.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

David Polich wrote:The thread on Gearslutz has devolved to the point where people right here on this forum are
being called out by name for their "arrogance and condescension".
I'm really disappointed that I haven't been called out by name for a trashing. I guess I need to try harder.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Let the DP hating begin..

Post by James Steele »

Ugh. That's really too bad. I don't understand how they can say we use a crappy DAW, yet turn around and say we're "elitist". Does anyone else see the contradiction there? They can come here and read the board since I changed it to allow non-members to read the posts so as not to be elitist and share whatever helpful content is here with the rest of the world.

Sigh. GS is also the preferred place where the few people I've had to boot from this board for being obnoxious and "attitudinal" go to complain about MOTUnation.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I hate DP because it sounds so much better than any DAW I've tried, so I kind of have to use it if I want to sound my best... but somehow it always makes me feel sort of stuck in the 90s.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]