Let the DP hating begin..

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Let the DP hating begin..

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:... but somehow it always makes me feel sort of stuck in the 90s.
Official DAW of Soundgarden
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gravity Jim wrote:I hate DP because it sounds so much better than any DAW I've tried, so I kind of have to use it if I want to sound my best... but somehow it always makes me feel sort of stuck in the 90s.
Me too, Jim. Stuck in the 90s. Damn. Age of Otari, Neve, Studer, Trident, SSL... bulky stuff. I guess if you have to be stuck somewhere, you could do worse. Not to forget... 3-M Scotch!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Shooshie wrote: Me too, Jim. Stuck in the 90s. Damn. Age of Otari, Neve, Studer, Trident, SSL... bulky stuff. I guess if you have to be stuck somewhere, you could do worse. Not to forget... 3-M Scotch!
3M made whisky, too? :wink: Seriously, I do understand, or at least think I do, that the young EDM guys are not all that concerned about audio processing quality. On the Logic forum, they complain about how their bounces don't sound like the playback, and I bite through my lip while a dozen Logic users try to pin the problem on something, anything... while I'm thinking, "That's because your DAW is pretty bad at rendering audio!"
James Steele wrote:Official DAW of Soundgarden
Ha! How 90s can you get? (Soundgarden is my favorite Seattle-scene band.)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

The world is becoming a non-linear place.
People are having a hard time walking straight because their trapped in a iPhone loop.
If you didn't grow up in a linear environment it maybe hard to comprehend more than one measure at a time hence DP sucks.
I still look at tracks as tape there's even a pair of scissors in the tool bar.
I think I'm still trapped in the 70's
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

wylie1 wrote:...there's even a pair of scissors in the tool bar...
Yeah, that's not right. It should be a razor blade. 8)
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

It's a splicing - I mean mental - block. :lol:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:
Mine too! And Chris Cornell... what a voice. RIP. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:It's a splicing - I mean mental - block. :lol:
GROAN!!! Hahaha... I can still remember splicing tape.

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:It's a splicing - I mean mental - block. :lol:
GROAN!!! Hahaha... I can still remember splicing tape.
That was back in the bad old days when VO sessions took a lot longer than now... if you needed the read in :57 1/2, and it came out at :61, you'd just have to read it again. I knew a guy who was such a type cutting maniac that I saw him (hand to God) cut a fluffed consonant out of a single track of a 4-track master - it left a little tiny square window in the tape - and replace it with the same consonant from an earlier take, and you could not hear it.

He never got into digital though, and his skills were obsolete 20 years ago, which is just about the time he had to close up shop.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gravity Jim wrote:I knew a guy who was such a type cutting maniac that I saw him (hand to God) cut a fluffed consonant out of a single track of a 4-track master - it left a little tiny square window in the tape - and replace it with the same consonant from an earlier take, and you could not hear it.

He never got into digital though, and his skills were obsolete 20 years ago, which is just about the time he had to close up shop.
I wonder if he could see patterns on the tape. It's been a long time, but didn't recorded tape have a different sheen to it than virgin tape? Maybe in certain lighting you could see something that kind of resembled our soundbites view. Or not. I don't know. Just guessing.

I guess if you watched your meters carefully and knew just where your heads were, you could mark it pretty much right on the point of a consonant. And cutting out just a square, rather than a slice, might give it something like a "fade" that used a little of both the new and old, so a consonant you were expecting to hear could be heard, without a break in the surrounding sound. Interesting idea, Jim. Now I want to try it. Not that I will. I'd be happy never to pick up another analog tape again. But I did my fair share of splicing, and learned about zero crossings on my own. I get nostalgic for about 5 seconds. Then... whew... like a bit of indigestion, it's gone! :shake:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

James Steele wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:
Chris Cornell RIP was certainly talented beyond most people's understanding,I LOVE Soundgarden! ;-)

You might to read this fascinating thread from GearSlutz:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much ... -info.html

Every now and then GS has an amazing thread,for me this is one of them............
It gets real interesting by the 29th post.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Funny, I used to know Chris back in the early 90's around the time of Superunknown.
Not on a professional level, I was roommates with his high school buddy. Cool guy at that point, later fame, divorce, drugs and so on ruined some things, his friendship with my old roommate etc. but at that point he would come over to be a regular human, since we didn't treat him like a rock star he could be a dork without consequence etc. Black Hole Sun was a direct result IMO of his new found love at the time for Lenny Kravitz mostly, and the Black Crows. Funnily enough I couldn't stand either group at the time, but when Soundgarden came out with Black Hole Sun I recognized the influence those bands had on him at the time.

Anyway he wasn't depressed or in bad shape when I knew him, tend to believe his wife that it was probably a side affect of the anxiety meds he was on...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

James Steele wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:

Dudes. I thought it was just me.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Frodo wrote:
James Steele wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Soundgarden is my favorite Seattle-scene band.
Dudes. I thought it was just me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjk64gE-n5g

(A friend's band offers a tribute to Mr. Cornell)