Walter Becker RIP

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Walter Becker RIP

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Gravity Jim

Re: Walter Becker RIP

Post by Gravity Jim »

Gutting. Steely Dan was my inspiration and my soundtrack for much of my youth. Way too young.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wal ... mg00000009

So young, at only 67!

I haven't checked for other obits yet, but the one at HuffPost linked above, along with some of the tweets below it from people like Nile Rodgers, seem to really summarize the man's impact.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Simpsons voiceover artist, Harry Shearer put it very well:
"Half of most amazing musical duo since Lennon/McCartney."

Maybe now would be a good time for Fagen to release some of the stuff that never made the albums. Or not. I don't know. I'd just like to hear what they deemed "too far."

Well, the man gave us a lot. I wish I could tell him thanks. May he rest in peace.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Indeed.

What are the odds of this?:
I argued in favour of SD on Saturday night with my housemate who died's sister. I mentioned that I'd put him onto TOTO, LRB and SD, and she reiterated that she'd listened to the bands as a consequence, but made a point of saying that SD just didn't cut through for her. I said it was probably 'cause the average punter might have to "get used" to the chords / harmonies / inversions they used; an acquired taste, if you will. Still, she insisted that she couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Uncanny that this was the first time I'd even mentioned the name "Steely Dan" since 2003, and the very-next day, Walter leaves us.

I stand by my observation anyway. The average consumer out there cannot appreciate what Walter and Don, coming from the base he does these days of listening to Taylor Swift, Beyonce and [insert R&B / EDM / rap artist name] featuring Dizzy D™, RapMonsta™, JizzBoy™ and Shakir Abdul "BlueBallz" GangstaBoy™. It just ain't gonna happen... much.

Oh well, the trailblazing icons seem to continue to drop like flies. So sad and unfortunate for all music lovers. RIP Walter Becker.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I have new housemates who are super-young, both artists/musicians (a young couple in their 20's). She wears an "Aja" shirt at least once a week and says Steely Dan is her favourite band of all time -- yet she's just under half my age.

That says a lot, when a musician can create music that speaks to multiple generations, and even at the level of rising above everything else to be at top-of-list for several decades.

My own company has a very close relationship with Steely Dan. Roger Nichols (their engineer) came by the office frequently before his own untimely passing, and I count myself lucky to have spent time with him.

We use the later SD albums as our main loudspeaker tests and DSP aural sanity checks when we develop new product. Considered the best-produced albums of all time.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:I have new housemates who are super-young, both artists/musicians (a young couple in their 20's). She wears an "Aja" shirt at least once a week and says Steely Dan is her favourite band of all time -- yet she's just under half my age.

That says a lot, when a musician can create music that speaks to multiple generations, and even at the level of rising above everything else to be at top-of-list for several decades.

My own company has a very close relationship with Steely Dan. Roger Nichols (their engineer) came by the office frequently before his own untimely passing, and I count myself lucky to have spent time with him.

We use the later SD albums as our main loudspeaker tests and DSP aural sanity checks when we develop new product. Considered the best-produced albums of all time.
I forgot that Nichols engineered SD. Do you know if he also engineered Fagen's "The Night Fly" album? That's one of the most technically outstanding albums I've ever heard, in addition to its great content.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

mhschmieder wrote:We use the later SD albums as our main loudspeaker tests and DSP aural sanity checks when we develop new product. Considered the best-produced albums of all time.
IMHO TOTO IV (the one with Africa and Rosanna on it) qualifies beautifully for loudspeaker testing, Mark.

The spectral balance is bang-on perfect, tapering off beautifully energy-wise as frequencies rise.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

monkey man wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:We use the later SD albums as our main loudspeaker tests and DSP aural sanity checks when we develop new product. Considered the best-produced albums of all time.
IMHO TOTO IV (the one with Africa and Rosanna on it) qualifies beautifully for loudspeaker testing, Mark.

The spectral balance is bang-on perfect, tapering off beautifully energy-wise as frequencies rise.
It's been too long!

I need to go back and re-listen to TOTO IV. And some SD.

(And, it's cool to see you around these parts again!)

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Roger Nichols (their engineer) came by the office frequently before his own untimely passing, and I count myself lucky to have spent time with him.
Damn!

I worked with him once only and that was as a background singer on a John Denver album. Roger ued to write in his column that SD and JD were the only artists he would produce back in the late '70s.

I use Steely Dan plus a Beatles cut to balance control rooms to get mixes that I can trust. I'll have to write that up someday.

RIP, Mr. Becker. You certainly created some damned fine music.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yes, Roger The Immortal did engineer "The Nightly."

I own and use daily a MOTU 896mk3 that came from his home studio. My little piece of Nichols.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

buzzsmith wrote:(And, it's cool to see you around these parts again!)

Buzzy
You're far-too-kind, Buzzy! :oops:

Heard a nice tribute to SD on local AM radio yesterday. The crew did a good job of picking notable pieces to play, and it was impressive to hear the compositions in sequence.