It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:00 am

Text Size

Superior 3 from Toontrack announced today

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

Re: Superior 3 from Toontrack announced today

Postby toodamnhip » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:59 pm

James Steele wrote:I just watched some of the promo vids for this on YouTube. So many features my eyes sort of glazed over and I felt thankful I'm basically a rocker guy at heart and made me yearn even more for the days of just using a human drummer whenever possible.

That said, the feature that caught my eye was the one where you can tap in a basic pattern and then SD3 will search its groove library for all the grooves that are similar to the pattern you tapped in. Takes a lot of the hit or miss out of it, especially if I'm working on a song where I have a basic idea of what the feel should be with the kick/snare. I could see myself using that one often.

That search feature has been on EZ drummer for a long time. Nice to see SD3 finally came out. I am looking forward to replacing pieces of live drums that were;t recorded well enough. Looks like SD3 is cutting edge in this area.
2 x 3.3GHz Six-Core Intel Xeon-24 Gig 1333 MHz DDR3 Mac
OS 10.10.5
DP 9.02, I loaded DP 9.1 but it was too problematic, MTP AV, 828 mkII
LASS Strings 2.05, East West Pianos, East West Goliath, Spectrasonics Omnispere, Stylus RMX, Waves 9, Drum Core, NI Guitar Rig, Miroslav Philharmonik CE, Antares auto tune 7, entire Nomad Factory tube processor library, Reason 3.05, Izotope Ozone 3-4-5-6, Trash 2 and Spectron, Ivory Piano, VI One, and Toontrack Drums, Addictive Drums...Ocean way Drums,etc
toodamnhip

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Postby mikehalloran » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:36 pm

mhschmieder wrote:Took me all night and all day (I hate leaving my computer on while at the office) to do the downloads/installs, but now it is done and I launched it quickly enough to make sure it works and that it found all of the libraries.

Greatly improved interface and workflow overall. A bit strange though that some EZX libraries are getting identified as Superior libraries.

Took me about 28 hours but downloads were slow. I expect that there were many users accessing the server at once. It should be faster now that most of the pre-order users have downloaded.

I turned Time Machine off during the process. I didn't want to back up 183g of installer files that I would be deleteting when done. The Toontrack Product Manager lets you delete the installers once you are done with them bypassing the Trash — nice touch.

No idea what SSD5 will bring to the table — haven't been paying attention. Until this thread, I'd forgotten that I bought it during some sale that Sweetwater had way back. I did see that I was running the SSD4 beta files so I logged in and updated the AU. I'll deal with 5 when it is released.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.1
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.5.1; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3.2, Finale 25.5, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave 1.18, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 16
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
mikehalloran

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby toodamnhip » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:00 pm

mikehalloran wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:Took me all night and all day (I hate leaving my computer on while at the office) to do the downloads/installs, but now it is done and I launched it quickly enough to make sure it works and that it found all of the libraries.

Greatly improved interface and workflow overall. A bit strange though that some EZX libraries are getting identified as Superior libraries.

Took me about 28 hours but downloads were slow. I expect that there were many users accessing the server at once. It should be faster now that most of the pre-order users have downloaded.

I turned Time Machine off during the process. I didn't want to back up 183g of installer files that I would be deleteting when done. The Toontrack Product Manager lets you delete the installers once you are done with them bypassing the Trash — nice touch.

No idea what SSD5 will bring to the table — haven't been paying attention. Until this thread, I'd forgotten that I bought it during some sale that Sweetwater had way back. I did see that I was running the SSD4 beta files so I logged in and updated the AU. I'll deal with 5 when it is released.

I could use some help. SD3 has an amazing ability to export the drums to sound files, all in 1 action. But they omitted something. If you agree, it would be nice to see you go to their user forum and ask for this update- The ability to bounce individual files THROUGH the mixer. As it stands now, you can bounce them as separate files PRE mixer, or, as a stereo file, POST mixer. There are some amazing mixing capabilities and pre sets available. But when you individually send out the separated files, you lose all that amazing mixer processing. Thus, toontrack needs to add a 3rd option, that being to export individual drum parts THROUGH the mixer. I have submitted a request at the forum. But the more the merrier right?
OS 10.10.5
LASS Strings 2.05, East West Pianos, East West Goliath, Spectrasonics Omnispere, Stylus RMX, Waves 9, Drum Core, NI Guitar Rig, Miroslav Philharmonik CE, Antares auto tune 7, entire Nomad Factory tube processor library, Reason 3.05, Izotope Ozone 3-4-5-6, Trash 2 and Spectron, Ivory Piano, VI One, and Toontrack Drums, Addictive Drums...Ocean way Drums,etc
toodamnhip

Postby James Steele » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:52 pm

toodamnhip wrote:That search feature has been on EZ drummer for a long time. Nice to see SD3 finally came out. I am looking forward to replacing pieces of live drums that were;t recorded well enough. Looks like SD3 is cutting edge in this area.

Hmmm... that's interesting. I never noticed it. I'll have to check that out.
JamesSteele.com | Dean Guitars | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

MacPro5,1 12-Core 3.33, 48GB RAM, macOS 10.12.6, ATI 5770, DP 9.5, MOTU HD192, 24I/O, UAD-2 Duo, Lucid GENx192, HV-3C, Red Type B, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby toodamnhip » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:33 am

James Steele wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:That search feature has been on EZ drummer for a long time. Nice to see SD3 finally came out. I am looking forward to replacing pieces of live drums that were;t recorded well enough. Looks like SD3 is cutting edge in this area.

Hmmm... that's interesting. I never noticed it. I'll have to check that out.

Its slightly more refined in Superior. Been working with it for 2 days, some great things, and other things like tracker real drums and converting to MIDI, that I am having trouble with. It is great at tracking audio ti MIDI, amazing, but sending it back to DP , I cant get it to sync. So I am doing crazy work around till i figure it out. Another thing apparently missing from various areas of all toontrack stuff, swing quantize. I am going to get on them for that. Even non jazz stuff can benefit from swing %, even if slight
OS 10.10.5
toodamnhip

Previous

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic