It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:44 am
   
Text Size

Why is modern pop music so terrible?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby David Polich » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:08 pm

I couldnt find enough of the kind of pop music I like,
so I wrote some and recorded it. The end.

http://www.shannonrae.com
Mac Pro 2010 2.8Ghz Quadcore, 32GB RAM,OSX 10.12.5, MIDI Timepiece AV, Apogee Duet 2, DP 9.13, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Sample Modeling, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Montage 6, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Motif XS6, Yamaha MO XF6,Yamaha Reface DX, Korg Kronos X61, Korg M361, Korg CX-3, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Roland D-50 and JV-2080, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
David Polich
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby monkey man » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:08 am

LOL That's the spirit, Dave. :lol:

terrybritton wrote:
monkey man wrote:
terrybritton wrote:It was a fantastic idea that should be resurrected for people regularly, methinks.
Try it yourselves - find something you like in each category on YouTube or somewhere every day for two weeks!

Day 1 - Favorite YouTube Musician or Band
Day 2 - Bollywood Music
Day 3 - Rock (Rock & Roll, Alternative, Heavy Metal, British Rock, Punk, Surf, Etc.)
Day 4 - Jazz (Blues, Folk, Ragtime, Big Band, Smooth, Classic, Etc.)
Day 5 - Favorite Childhood Song
Day 6 - Country Music
Day 7 - Latin Music (Bossa Nova, Samba, Merengue, Salsa, Etc.)
Day 8 - Broadway Musical or Song
Day 9 - 1970's Music
Day 10 - Classical Music (Symphony, Orchestra, or Opera)
Day 11 - Hip Hop or Rap
Day 12 - Hawaiian, Caribbean, Calypso or Reggae Music
Day 13 - 1980's Music
Day 14 - Your Favorite Song

You'll be glad you did it, I assure you...
Anyway, now back to our regularly sponsored thread. :)

Terry

Hey Terry! Hope you're well, mate.

I'd have included funk and fusion in that list; there's an awful-lot of variety of tone, rhythm and melody to be experienced there that most folks are never exposed to. Sure, the "Day 9 - 1970's Music" stipulation could conceivably have yielded some exposure, but an overall-'70s PooToob search can't compete with exploring the genre specifically IMHO .


I TOTALLY agree! :D

Terry

Woohoo!

Agreement strengthens the bones, Terry. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Tower, OSX 10.12.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
User avatar
monkey man
 
Posts: 12846
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:01 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby Gravity Jim » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:26 pm

I dig that list. I will usually come pretty close to that driving down to the City. My iTunes is a slush pile of genres.

David P: Isn't that what Pete Townshend said about why he founded The Who?
Jim Bordner
http://www.gravitymusic.com
MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.13.4 Beta • MOTU 896mk3 • MOTU DP 9.5.1 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Diamond, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5, Korg Legacy • Roland & Yamaha hardware • Fender, Gibson, Godin, Danelectro, Line 6, Warmoth, Hofner and Cedar Creek guitars, Fuchs ODS amp
User avatar
Gravity Jim
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:55 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby David Polich » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:46 pm

I think so.
Mac Pro 2010 2.8Ghz Quadcore, 32GB RAM,OSX 10.12.5, MIDI Timepiece AV, Apogee Duet 2, DP 9.13, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Sample Modeling, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Montage 6, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Motif XS6, Yamaha MO XF6,Yamaha Reface DX, Korg Kronos X61, Korg M361, Korg CX-3, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Roland D-50 and JV-2080, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
David Polich
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby James Steele » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:01 pm

waxman wrote:
James Steele wrote:
waxman wrote:The reason they call it POP is it is "popular" and makes $$$. It's the Zeitgeist baby!


I hear "Keeping up with the Kardashians" is/was popular. Oh well... :)


Yep those little tramps hit the big time... so did The Bee Gees...

<SNIP>



The Bee Gees actually had talent.
JamesSteele.com | Dean Guitars | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

MacPro5,1 12-Core 3.33, 48GB RAM, macOS 10.12.6, ATI 5770, DP 9.5, MOTU HD192, 24I/O, UAD-2 Duo, Lucid GENx192, HV-3C, Red Type B, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
User avatar
James Steele
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 17036
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: San Diego, CA - U.S.A.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby Shooshie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:54 pm

James Steele wrote:
waxman wrote:
James Steele wrote:I hear "Keeping up with the Kardashians" is/was popular. Oh well... :)

Yep those little tramps hit the big time... so did The Bee Gees...
The Bee Gees actually had talent.

Just their name alone proves they were intelligent, sensate creatures with flair for irony; the Kardashians, on the other hand, may well be blow-up dolls or cardboard cutouts. Their talent is getting their picture taken. (Ok, maybe that's irony, too) That, in turn, is fueled by the age-old American social morality that holds boobs in quasi-pornographic esteem, unless their exposure generates large amounts of monetary wattage, in which case boobs are economic cornerstones... er... financial throw pillows? Ok... how about "they generate hits!" Thus, they are pop-icons. Apparently we're now at the definition of Pop-Anything: something normally ubiquitous and mundane that gets raised to icon status by the simple fact that it generates money streams. Technology seems to play a part, thus the web-cam of the 1990s in which a teenage girl paid for college merely by inviting the world to watch her doing homework, talking to friends on the phone, or surfing the internet... for a price.

I'd say that if you took all the "pop" anythings of any era and made a list, you'd have a pretty good description of the normal psychology of our strange species, and probably a lot more useful description than that of abnormal or criminal psychology. Anyone who understands it has the power to get rich from the mundane.

Genius creates what wasn't there before, or improves what was, or provides insight and feedback or inspiration through the capacity of thought, technique, or artistry. Pop gives us what we want but are too embarrassed to admit, its pandering nature legitimized by numbers. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.11.6 |l| DP 9.13 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
User avatar
Shooshie
 
Posts: 19784
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Dallas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby monkey man » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:09 am

Yes, the Bee Gees really did have talent, and so much of it.

Forgetting their huge back catalogue of material and looking at disco alone offers up some gems IMHO. Also, IMHO, along with a sprinkling of other bands such as Shalamar, they gave disco the legitimacy it badly needed.

"How Deep is Your Love?" springs immediately to mind...

Mac 2012 12C Tower, OSX 10.12.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
User avatar
monkey man
 
Posts: 12846
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:01 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby daniel.sneed » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:46 am

Shooshie wrote:[...]Pop gives us what we want but are too embarrassed to admit[...]
Interesting to my ears, Shooshie, but a little bit tragic too.
May it turn into *Pop gives us what we want but are not allowed by our education and social class rules*?
dAn
Shake it all over!
___
DP9.51, OS10.13.3, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-1ToSSD-16GoRam
Pianoteq, Falcon, Alchemy, Iris, BreakTweaker, Kontakt, Absynth, Reason, GPO, Miroslav
Novation 49SLmkII, Studiologic VMK161+, ControlPad, EWIusb
Blofeld, UltraNova & MiniNova,
Lexicon, Ozone, RX, Alloy, Trash, SpectraFoo, IrcamTS
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X-32 rack
Many mics (Tuby or not tuby? That is the question)
Many guitars, banjos, mandolins, flutes, xylos, kalimbas...
http://myspace.com/adokmusic
User avatar
daniel.sneed
 
Posts: 2100
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:01 pm
Location: France
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby Shooshie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:32 am

daniel.sneed wrote:
Shooshie wrote:[...]Pop gives us what we want but are too embarrassed to admit[...]
Interesting to my ears, Shooshie, but a little bit tragic too.
May it turn into *Pop gives us what we want but are not allowed by our education and social class rules*?


I think you've just defined "embarrassed." :)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.11.6 |l| DP 9.13 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
User avatar
Shooshie
 
Posts: 19784
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Dallas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby waxman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Pop music is NOT terrible. The Kardashians are pop culture not pop music.

The Bee Gees are top of the pop...
waxman
DP9.5, Sierra OS 12.x, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 5, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Some Waves plugs, Final Cut X. PT 11.
User avatar
waxman
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Encinitas CA
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby Shooshie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Speaking of things for which I probably should be embarrassed, I've been getting into Doris Day lately. Now, talk about popular music! That lady was the QUEEN of popular music. Or... the girl next door of popular music. She was at the top of the charts for 10 years, and was still charting in the UK when she was in her 60s, having had her first #1 hit when she was in her teens. She was born in 1922, so that would have been probably 1939 or so. That's a long time to stay on the charts. She was the Paul McCartney of her era. And a helluva lot better looking. Her son, Terry Melchior, was involved with all the early pop-rock stuff in California, producing mostly, but sometimes singing. So Doris's influence even continued through the expression of her genes! She's still alive, but in her 90s, not recording. She was also the queen of the box office during the 40s, 50s, and 60s, setting records everywhere, some of which have not been broken. I loved Doris as a kid. She and me broke up when I was in my teens. I guess she wasn't cool anymore. Now I've been renting her old movies and just falling in love again. My goodness, that was some system they had back then. Everything was cookie-cutter formulaic. The movies had a form and didn't vary an inch from it. The songs were vapid, but they knew how to work them. It's not the song you're in love with. It's the lady singing it. The song is just an excuse to see her smile so big that you think her face will turn inside out. And when she does, it's like the sun is coming up after a long, long dark winter.

Doris learned to sing by listening to Ella. She followed Ella's nuances and tried to mimic her any time she heard her. She's full of surprises. Her life is actually fascinating. Worth reading at least the Wikipedia article. Astonishing, really. The lady seems like the star you see on the screen. Just too good to be true, even in adversity. Terrible at picking husbands — which would seem like the lady on the screen, too, since all it took was a kiss, and she was their girl. One of them spent all her money and died, leaving her half a million in debt, right when she was ready to retire. Doris prevailed. Doris always prevailed.

Yeah, there's still some of my old resentment left. I really didn't like that old Studio method back in the day. Now I kind of miss it. I still have to hurdle each of those roadblocks: the formulas, the vapidity, the star system, overacting (or downright mugging), and of course everything is set in Southern California, no matter where it's supposed to be taking place. Except the cityscapes of New York City which were positively grand. But when watching Doris falling in love with Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Rock Hudson, Gordon McRae, and every other male lead of the day, you realize that the guys are just interchangeable plugins, there to play the role of YOU. You're there to fall in love with Doris again and again and again, and it always works. Even if you try to resist, pretty soon you're wiping your eyes. It's. Just. So. Happy. And. Beautiful. By the light of the silvery moon or on moonlit bay, with the man who knew too much, or with a touch of mink, in a glass bottom boat or when the lights went out, our own Calamity Jane defies the odds and gets her man. Doris was a pro; a star of the silver screen. And by God, I love her still!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.11.6 |l| DP 9.13 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
User avatar
Shooshie
 
Posts: 19784
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Dallas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby cleamon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:05 am

Shooshie wrote:Speaking of things for which I probably should be embarrassed, I've been getting into Doris Day lately. Now, talk about popular music! That lady was the QUEEN of popular music. Or... the girl next door of popular music. She was at the top of the charts for 10 years, and was still charting in the UK when she was in her 60s, having had her first #1 hit when she was in her teens. She was born in 1922, so that would have been probably 1939 or so. That's a long time to stay on the charts. She was the Paul McCartney of her era. And a helluva lot better looking. Her son, Terry Melchior, was involved with all the early pop-rock stuff in California, producing mostly, but sometimes singing. So Doris's influence even continued through the expression of her genes! She's still alive, but in her 90s, not recording. She was also the queen of the box office during the 40s, 50s, and 60s, setting records everywhere, some of which have not been broken. I loved Doris as a kid. She and me broke up when I was in my teens. I guess she wasn't cool anymore. Now I've been renting her old movies and just falling in love again. My goodness, that was some system they had back then. Everything was cookie-cutter formulaic. The movies had a form and didn't vary an inch from it. The songs were vapid, but they knew how to work them. It's not the song you're in love with. It's the lady singing it. The song is just an excuse to see her smile so big that you think her face will turn inside out. And when she does, it's like the sun is coming up after a long, long dark winter.

Doris learned to sing by listening to Ella. She followed Ella's nuances and tried to mimic her any time she heard her. She's full of surprises. Her life is actually fascinating. Worth reading at least the Wikipedia article. Astonishing, really. The lady seems like the star you see on the screen. Just too good to be true, even in adversity. Terrible at picking husbands — which would seem like the lady on the screen, too, since all it took was a kiss, and she was their girl. One of them spent all her money and died, leaving her half a million in debt, right when she was ready to retire. Doris prevailed. Doris always prevailed.

Yeah, there's still some of my old resentment left. I really didn't like that old Studio method back in the day. Now I kind of miss it. I still have to hurdle each of those roadblocks: the formulas, the vapidity, the star system, overacting (or downright mugging), and of course everything is set in Southern California, no matter where it's supposed to be taking place. Except the cityscapes of New York City which were positively grand. But when watching Doris falling in love with Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Rock Hudson, Gordon McRae, and every other male lead of the day, you realize that the guys are just interchangeable plugins, there to play the role of YOU. You're there to fall in love with Doris again and again and again, and it always works. Even if you try to resist, pretty soon you're wiping your eyes. It's. Just. So. Happy. And. Beautiful. By the light of the silvery moon or on moonlit bay, with the man who knew too much, or with a touch of mink, in a glass bottom boat or when the lights went out, our own Calamity Jane defies the odds and gets her man. Doris was a pro; a star of the silver screen. And by God, I love her still!

Shooshie


Pretty much how I feel about Audrey Hepburn.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac 3.2GHz Core i3 || 12GB Ram || OS/X 10.11.6 || Motu 828MkII || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
User avatar
cleamon
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:19 pm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby Shooshie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:18 am

There's a whole list of silver screen stars that I love to watch, but those who were also stars of the airwaves bring that list down to a very few really good ones.
|l| OS X 10.11.6 |l| DP 9.13 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
User avatar
Shooshie
 
Posts: 19784
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Dallas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby mikehalloran » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:23 am

I've been getting into Doris Day lately

Nothing wrong with that at all.

My job sometimes has me staying at her hotel and she is frequently in residence. If I run into her again, I'll tell her.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.1
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.5.1; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3.2, Finale 25.5, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave 1.18, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 16
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 9083
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Postby James Steele » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 pm

monkey man wrote:Yes, the Bee Gees really did have talent, and so much of it.

Forgetting their huge back catalogue of material and looking at disco alone offers up some gems IMHO. Also, IMHO, along with a sprinkling of other bands such as Shalamar, they gave disco the legitimacy it badly needed.

"How Deep is Your Love?" springs immediately to mind...


To Love Somebody -- written by Barry and Robin. A truly great song covered by many artists. I had an Eric Burdon and the Animals album years ago as a kid that I listened to all the time and Eric had a great rendition of it as well.
JamesSteele.com | Dean Guitars | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

MacPro5,1 12-Core 3.33, 48GB RAM, macOS 10.12.6, ATI 5770, DP 9.5, MOTU HD192, 24I/O, UAD-2 Duo, Lucid GENx192, HV-3C, Red Type B, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
User avatar
James Steele
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 17036
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: San Diego, CA - U.S.A.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Previous

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 151 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login Form