What are people using to host Avatar images for this forum?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Tonio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What are people using to host Avatar images for this for

Post by Tonio »

I checked out google images, but seems to be a PITA.

Imgur FTW
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

billf wrote:I usually use https://postimages.org
I'm going to give that a try.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

How about I just make this easier? I went ahead and enabled uploading avatar images just now. :D I'm not going to make a big board-wide announcement about it... others will gradually see the option available in their User Control Panel. I set a 100k file size limit to start with. That should be plenty, but it should also cut back on the animated GIF avatars that MLC likes so much. People can still use them but they'd have to host elsewhere! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Once again, James, you rule!
Let's us celebrate!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Sounds great James. Easier for everyone; I won't use it until I need it, but thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Sounds great James. Easier for everyone; I won't use it until I need it, but thanks!
Well back in the days when this board started I think there was a higher premium on storage space with hosting companies than today. We casually talk about gigabytes today like we once talked about megabytes. So feel free to use it. Only a few people have so far. If it stays small, I may make a boardwide announcement.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Now, what's the problem with Dropbox? I've used it since shortly after it came out, and it's been great. Is it not free? I may be paying for it; if so, I've long since forgotten. Just another one of those automatic deductions on my poor bank account. But I use Dropbox for just about everything. Even one of my videos is hosted there. I never see any warnings from them that things aren't as they should be.

If it's not free, then I understand, but I'm not [aware] of paying for it. :oops:

The link I use from Dropbox is obtained by Control-Clicking on the object in the Public Folder. That is simple and straightforward. Of course, my public folder is gigantic and the only semblance of order in it comes from my naming things with a prefix that groups them alphabetically. All my DP related screenshots and files start with DP, for example.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Shooshie wrote:Now, what's the problem with Dropbox? I've used it since shortly after it came out, and it's been great. Is it not free? I may be paying for it; if so, I've long since forgotten. Just another one of those automatic deductions on my poor bank account. But I use Dropbox for just about everything. Even one of my videos is hosted there. I never see any warnings from them that things aren't as they should be.

If it's not free, then I understand, but I'm not [aware] of paying for it. :oops:

The link I use from Dropbox is obtained by Control-Clicking on the object in the Public Folder. That is simple and straightforward. Of course, my public folder is gigantic and the only semblance of order in it comes from my naming things with a prefix that groups them alphabetically. All my DP related screenshots and files start with DP, for example.

Shoosh
It used to work with free accounts, but since Dropbox eliminated the Public folders for basic (free) users, one can only post a link and not host an image.
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/dropb ... rs-1638697

I just went back and looked at some posts I made with images hosted in Dropbox, and they are no longer there. Only the word "image" remains.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Wow, Photobucket in a death spiral:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

Not only this, but they have started spamming me with "Photobucket Deals" selling me everything from beard trimmers to coffee. Not a good way to run a company.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

James Steele wrote:How about I just make this easier?
Thank you, James. My avatar just got the boot from photobucket. You DID make this easy! 8)

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Tried Dropbox and hated the app, which wants to take over functions on my Mac. (I use WeTransfer for large file transfers to my clients, which is simple and clean… and free, unless you need long-term storage or 2gB file xfer capability). I put my Avatar on an unpublished page on my website and got it to link through, but there should really be a better way. Watching this discussion with interest.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:...but there should really be a better way. Watching this discussion with interest.
There is. I enabled the ability to simply upload your avatar image to this site. :)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, Dropbox pulled the rug out from under me, even though I pay for service. It appears that there is no longer any kind of support for forum access, that is, inline images through BBEdit code.

That leaves the DP Tips Sheet thread sort of... threadbare.

I thought I found a loophole, and began replacing links, but it turned out to work only for me. Anyone else still saw the same empty box where once there was an image. Until I find a host with a simple means of access [emphasis on the word SIMPLE], it looks like the tips sheet will be text only for a while.

If anyone has a good substitute for Dropbox, please do tell. I believe I and my thousand+ files are about to part ways with Dropbox. What a stupid thing; they drove off their users. I didn't pay much, but it's a lot more than most people pay for hosting. I was willing to pay the difference because the integration is so great. Just drag things to Dropbox in the Finder. You can't beat that. But hopefully someone has.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:If anyone has a good substitute for Dropbox, please do tell. I believe I and my thousand+ files are about to part ways with Dropbox. What a stupid thing; they drove off their users. I didn't pay much, but it's a lot more than most people pay for hosting. I was willing to pay the difference because the integration is so great. Just drag things to Dropbox in the Finder. You can't beat that. But hopefully someone has.
Hey Shoosh. The DP Tips thread is such a valuable resource here. If you have an FTP program I could set up an FTP login for you and you could upload to the server that's used to host this site and use that. It's probably a bit more cumbersome, but should work.