Time for a new iPad, or do they ALL suck bigtime?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Time for a new iPad, or do they ALL suck bigtime?

Post by stubbsonic »

Great point, GJ. I concede to all your points.

I was rather defending my own love/hate-mostly-hate position, more than attacking my strawman.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gravity Jim wrote: "hype" will not create sustained success (despite widely held but incorrect opinion). All it can do is generate trial, but if trial reveals to consumers that the product is generally bad or useless, the initial success won't continue.
While technically I want to agree with you, I have to give pause when confronted with the evidence: VHS, Windows, various consumer stereo stuff, various audiophile stereo stuff, pop divas, fast food, Logic Audio (in its early days)... and much more, but not worth making a full list.

On the other hand, it's much easier to agree with you if I just focus on the Zune.

hehehehe...

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:On the other hand, it's much easier to agree with you if I just focus on the Zune.

hehehehe...
I almost never tire of watching this clip:

https://youtu.be/4BqyreB8zRE
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
frankf

Time for a new iPad, or do they ALL suck bigtime?

Post by frankf »

iPad Air 2 (2014 Retina 64gb) wi-if here. No sucking here either-works as advertised on iOS 10.3.3. I use it for almost everything except music creation but I do use it with DP and Custom Keypad. I run parts of my Film Scoring Seminar on it. Sometimes screen size is an issue, but rarely. I can't find the link now but I was recently reading a comparison between iPad Air 2 and new iPad Pro which stated that upgrading the Air 2 to the pro was worth it only if the newer features of the Pro were needed. The same article stated upgrading from any other model of iPad to the Pro was definitively worth it. Typing doesn't compare to a real keyboard but Siri, while it takes some getting used to, has actually worked for me except in public spaces. YMMV of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I bought one of these and it works pretty well... but it's heavy and works best if you're seated at a desk which is rarely when I use my iPad. It goes with me on business trips for conference and hotel rooms—otherwise, I never use it.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/c ... gKTsPD_BwE

Because of the weight, there are a lot of these barely used on eBay. I think I paid around $50 for mine.

I've not found the external keyboard that lets me use it easily in an armchair or my wheelchair so I tap on the screen normally. The 12.9" gives me more real estate, of course.

Because of my handicap, I gig as a bassist using the basses in GarageBand. The 12.9" Pro gives me 13 frets while the standard size gives me only 7. The Air and Pro have fragile headphone jacks but, fortunately, the lightening to headphone adapter makes that issue go away. The older models with glass screens are more robust.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Shooshie wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote: "hype" will not create sustained success (despite widely held but incorrect opinion). All it can do is generate trial, but if trial reveals to consumers that the product is generally bad or useless, the initial success won't continue.
While technically I want to agree with you, I have to give pause when confronted with the evidence: VHS, Windows, various consumer stereo stuff, various audiophile stereo stuff, pop divas, fast food, Logic Audio (in its early days)... and much more, but not worth making a full list.

On the other hand, it's much easier to agree with you if I just focus on the Zune.

hehehehe...

Shooshie
Yeah, but here's where you're wrong: none of those products are "bad." VHS and Windows did what they did (or do) just fine: a better version of the same thing is rarely a success unless it markets the same price points (which is not the same thing as price, BTW, so everybody should stop using the term in that manner immediately). Are Beta and Macintosh "better?" Sure, I think so. But not enough to justify the higher price among consumers.

Fast food? Pop divas? People like that stuff. It is "good" in terms of the transaction. Nobody wants healthy food to eat in their car while listening to Leontyne Price... they want hamburgers and Lady Gaga. That's not even a real argument.

If you worked in advertising or marketing (just having an opinion about them doesn't count... everybody has an incorrect opinion on them), you'd know what I say is true. If your product sucks, and you come on like gangbusters, your product will fail before you have a chance to fix it.

I did a series of TV commercials for a chain of Mexican restaurants, and our food stylist was the bomb. We used all the same stuff they use in the restaurants (it's required if the food is what you're selling), but her plates were amazing, and she delivered the heroes to the set drop dead gorgeous with steam still rising from the plate. We finished the spots, and when we showed them to the client, he had a heart attack. "Holy crap, we can't run these!" he said. "Our food doesn't look that good!"

So he spent the next couple months tightening up his presentation across the chain and then we started the campaign. He knew: you have to deliver a bit more than you promise. Promise more than you give, and you'll get creamed.

Anyway, iPad doesn't suck.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Gravity Jim wrote: Anyway, iPad doesn't suck.
What he said... and integration with my iPhone and computer and AppleTV, and so on, will be quaint before you can say Wollensack, but they do what they do and they do it far better than I had ever expected them to... even my original 1st generation iPad. I can't wait until we don't need hardware!

Imagine that!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Gravity Jim wrote: Anyway, iPad doesn't suck.

MMMV
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com