Multiple DAWs

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Asensory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Multiple DAWs

Post by Asensory »

I edited my typo above.

Regarding comments on DP's GUI, that's something I don't get. It seems pretty straightforward to me. The only problem I have is with the tiny font size, which I see is a common complaint, but as for simplicity, layout, etc, what am I missing?

The reason I bring up the other DAW that is to remain nameless is that their price, being as cheap as it is, saved my ass when I needed a DAW I could afford and would work on a crappy laptop. It was both of those things. The user base was also quite helpful when I needed to troubleshoot certain issues.

But I longed to be back on DP, which I think is easier to use, and of course SOUNDS good. That is the most important thing a DAW can do, sum together all these tracks, MIDI, fx, etc and sound good.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a DP Improvements thread, but there are some good ideas for improvement mentioned here, let's hope MOTU pays attention. Other than Live, I am not trying to get into any other DAW at this time, DP feels like home to me, I've been using since college and I plan to keep being a user.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Asensory wrote: But I longed to be back on DP, which I think is easier to use, and of course SOUNDS good. That is the most important thing a DAW can do, sum together all these tracks, MIDI, fx, etc and sound good.
Exactly. You can complain about features or implementation until you are blue in the face, and the fact remains that DP simply handles audio best. That's why it's slower than other DAWs to do a Bounce to Disc, for example: that's not a problem. It's a feature.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Morpheo, you mentioned a click that's not in tempo with the music. There are certainly ways to do that, but clicks have gotten kind of complicated in DP. Get the technique down and it should always be in time. I've never seen it not get the click correctly unless I had set the wrong thing up. But that is a subject for which I probably ought to make a video or something.

Maybe I'll do that when I can be sure I've mastered it. I always feel like I'm using a workaround, but it's fast and it works. Seems like there is probably a "standard" way, but I don't know what it is.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Shooshie wrote:Morpheo, you mentioned a click that's not in tempo with the music. There are certainly ways to do that, but clicks have gotten kind of complicated in DP. Get the technique down and it should always be in time. I've never seen it not get the click correctly unless I had set the wrong thing up. But that is a subject for which I probably ought to make a video or something.

Maybe I'll do that when I can be sure I've mastered it. I always feel like I'm using a workaround, but it's fast and it works. Seems like there is probably a "standard" way, but I don't know what it is.

Shooshie
Hey Shooshie :)

Actually the click is fine, but, it's the countoff that is off. If I insert a tempo change at measure x, and I want it to become 12/8 for example (so I do set the click accordingly beforehand), when the countoff starts, 1/it's not my new tempo (usually it's the one preceding the tempo change) and 2/there's a weird delay between the last countoff beat and the actual first beat - this I have no idea why, but it makes it totally impossible to start recording properly, since the click doesn't start when it should, which makes the concept of the countoff pretty useless and irrelevant... It doesn't matter what I'm recording, VI or a live instrument, for the musician waiting for his cue it's a joke. I end up recording my click on a track so I can give him a proper countoff... I don't even remember when I didn't have this bug.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

We're doing something different from each other, then. I use click/countoff a bit, and I haven't seen the problem. I used to use it every day, all day long, when most of my projects were MIDI. It's possible that with audio I might not notice it being off if it were close. No... on 2nd thought; time is not one of my weak points. I'd hear it. I don't have time to look into it now, but I'm glad you've found a solution, even if it means having to use something else. Sorry you had to take such a drastic step, and I hope we see you back here again. (and hey, yourself! :) )

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Morpheo wrote:
Actually the click is fine, but, it's the countoff that is off. If I insert a tempo change at measure x, and I want it to become 12/8 for example (so I do set the click accordingly beforehand), when the countoff starts, 1/it's not my new tempo (usually it's the one preceding the tempo change) and 2/there's a weird delay between the last countoff beat and the actual first beat - this I have no idea why, but it makes it totally impossible to start recording properly, since the click doesn't start when it should, which makes the concept of the countoff pretty useless and irrelevant... It doesn't matter what I'm recording, VI or a live instrument, for the musician waiting for his cue it's a joke. I end up recording my click on a track so I can give him a proper countoff... I don't even remember when I didn't have this bug.
I had this same problem back in the day, in v.7.xx... but for the life of me, I can't remember how it was solved. I looked through my MOTU Tech Notes, but no joy. I will try hard to remember and/or track down the cause of this... it drove me completely crazy, so I want to help.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]