Back to DP807

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
oshtakuta

Back to DP807

Post by oshtakuta »

My ITB mixes with DP807 much better then DP913(902?). I sorry :cry:

ps The depth of the scene, the width of the stereo field and more..pregene 807 OFF!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Back to DP807

Post by stubbsonic »

Have you done the "double-blind" thing to make sure you aren't projecting something? I'd find it hard to believe MOTU would have done anything to the way audio is processed that you would be able to hear.

I'm not sure if "double-blind" is necessary. But at least you could create two mixes, one in 9, one in 8, and have someone play matched excerpts (i.e., the same exact sections) from each, and you --without any clue of which you are hearing-- decide which it is, and what qualities you hear.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
oshtakuta

Post by oshtakuta »

stubbsonic wrote:Have you done the "double-blind" thing to make sure you aren't projecting something? I'd find it hard to believe MOTU would have done anything to the way audio is processed that you would be able to hear.

I'm not sure if "double-blind" is necessary. But at least you could create two mixes, one in 9, one in 8, and have someone play matched excerpts (i.e., the same exact sections) from each, and you --without any clue of which you are hearing-- decide which it is, and what qualities you hear.
Is made(this is completed) http://dropmefiles.com/CsAo8 in DP8 and then opened and rendered in DP807 and DP913(72621), after-zero subtraction motu invert phase,sorry for my english)..Mr. Stubbsonic, any more questions? I'm shocked, I do not believe myself how I could mix(my job) the last year on DP9(((
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Well if you really think DP8 sounds better, then please use it. That is your decision.

Most of us are happy with DP9 and do not believe DP8 sounded better (or worse). DP8
is not 64-bit, which causes a lot of problems especially with VI's and CPU-hungry plugins,
so today most of us do not care to go back to a 32-bit DAW (I for one cannot go back).

Enjoy DP8! I will continue to enjoy DP9.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
oshtakuta

Post by oshtakuta »

OK!...DP8 64bit)
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

oshtakuta wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Have you done the "double-blind" thing to make sure you aren't projecting something? I'd find it hard to believe MOTU would have done anything to the way audio is processed that you would be able to hear.

Is made(this is completed) http://dropmefiles.com/CsAo8 in DP8 and then opened and rendered in DP807 and DP913(72621), after-zero subtraction motu invert phase,sorry for my english)..Mr. Stubbsonic, any more questions? I'm shocked, I do not believe myself how I could mix(my job) the last year on DP9(((
This is very interesting.

Have you looked at the preferences to make sure they are the same in both versions?

Is the buffer size the same? Is there a lot of automation?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Phase invert null-test was a good idea (why didn't I think of that?)

At least you can confirm that it is indeed different. And the differences are in the top end and wide stereo, so what you describe is shown in your test track.

That is worrying.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
oshtakuta

Post by oshtakuta »

Robert,Everything is absolutely the same!, DP8 plug-ins real-time pref! "a lot of automation"not at all
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

oshtakuta wrote:Robert,Everything is absolutely the same!, DP8 plug-ins real-time pref! "a lot of automation"not at all
Is there any time stretching in the project?

I am trying to track this down to see what the cause might be.
oshtakuta

Post by oshtakuta »

stubbsonic,my mixes are losing sound stage in comparison(DP8-DP913)
oshtakuta

Post by oshtakuta »

time stretching no
oshtakuta

Post by oshtakuta »

I've been a DP user for 10 years and that was my own choice after using Logic and PT. Now it seems that my desire to have VCA faders, a drag and drop file browser, built-in Melodyne and VST3 will never come true. I will be really careful with the updates in the future especially with the ridiculous ones.
I noticed some time ago that my sound quality decreased but didn't connect it to DP. I'm getting back to Yosemite and DP807 - I have no time to waste figuring out.
1280bregs

Post by 1280bregs »

Oshtakuta, there must be some variation between your project bounced in DP8 and DP9.

Can you share this project with us so we can take a look?
oshtakuta

Post by oshtakuta »

I downgraded from Sierra 10.12.5 to 10.10.5 and from DP913 to DP807. I repeat: the mix was the same with no exceptions - the same plugins, preferences, etc. I am positive Pre-Gen2 does something to latency and ruins the math which was the DNA of the DP great mixing board that it used to be before the Pre-Gen2 introduction. In addition, DP913 has become a different program - slow and buggy. My operating system works great, I'm an experienced user. I bought Digital Performer but now it's a totally different DAW. Sorry for being too emotional but I didn't want Pre-Gen2. I am a DP man staying with Motu on DP8.
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

I've stayed with DP 8 and OS X.8.5 since I couldn't get DP 9 work properly. I need to update my OS though. What is the most recent OS I can still use DP 8 on reliably?

Very quick answer from MOTU: OSX 10.11 or later is the cutoff point for DP8. So Yosemite is the most recent OS DP8 will work. I hope DP9 works in Sierra. That would be a first.
Last edited by Dave Connor on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Mac Pro 12 Core, OS 10.8.5, 64 gigs ram; 2408 (3), 308, DP 8.07 http://www.daveconnor.net