SWAM Engine update

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SWAM Engine update

Post by cuttime »

SWAM Engine update:
https://swamengine.com/swam/downloads.php
I'm looking at you Shooshie...I'll be testing this later provided heavy thunderstorms in the area don't mess with utility power.

EDIT-Well, I'll be testing it if I ever get my download link.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mhschmieder

Re: SWAM Engine update

Post by mhschmieder »

Haha, once again, no emails received to let us know (especially those of us who own every single Sample Modeling product) about the update! Thanks for posting.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Finally got my "The Cello" update. There was a problem with email auto response for download links and I had to go through customer service.

Initial results don't seem to be much different; this thing is still a CPU hog, but maybe there is a slight improvement overall. I can comfortably use it with a keyboard and pedal at a 128 buffer without any clicks or pops.

Tone and phrasing seem about the same. There is an added pickup emulation in the instruments.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I did the two-step to get all of the product update links, but ran out of time/energy last night to install and test them, as I didn't have my new computer most-of-the-way operational for audio etc. until after midnight.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Just started checking this forum again after a long, long time, so I'm just seeing this. I'll try to get to that, soon. Thank you for taking care of us. I sure hope this one helps with the SWAM/DP issues.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

SWAM Engine update

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:Just started checking this forum again after a long, long time...
And may I say that it is good to see you around here again!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Although I haven't had SWAM issues with DP since the previous updates (but the ones before that were an issue), several of them are permanently quarrantined by StudioOne. Just user inexperience on my part; I don't know hot to force it to rescan. I imagine they'll work now. Maybe in Logic too.

I haven't tried the woodwinds from the update yet to see if they've improved. My understanding is that mostly some new parameters are added, and if left unused, that you'd get more or less the same results as before, accounting for the deliberate randomization and humanization built in to the engine.

The strings apparently changed quite a bit, but I haven't tried them yet, as I'v already finalized string parts on several albums primarily using VSL after getting such unrealistic results with early versions of SWAM strings. I remain interested though -- especially if I dig out my Yamaha WX5 at some point to try real-time playing with a variety of CC's.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I notice we get exactly two S/N's per product, or (fortunately) consolidated per product suite.

With the new computer, I had to go back and find old emails across many years (VERY hard as Apple Mail is no longer doing a good job even if the term is in both title and contents, and regardless of mixed-case vs. all-upper-case vs. all-lower-case), to use the second S/N for each.

I couldn't find a way to decommission the old S/N's from my old computer, or via the website, but hopefully by the time I need yet another computer, they will have further consolidated their product suites and thus offered new S/N's. :-)

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Interesting discussion at vi-control this weekend by the creators of these fine instruments:

http://vi-control.net/community/threads ... ine.63495/

I think it is probably not OK to cut/paste the actual quotes from the developers into another forum, which is why I am linking to the topic instead.

The bottom line is that SWAM is now an entirely separately company from Sample Modeling and are calling themselves Audio Modeling.

It appears that there may be more overlap of instruments as time progresses, based on different techniques.

I'm too tired to check the history of Kontakt-based saxes vs. SWAM-based saxes though. I think it was the same team (Lucato & company)? I kept my Kontakt libs but only use the SWAM ones now.

Even so, by far my favourites remain the brass in Kontakt. Especially trumpet, trombone, and tuba -- in ascending order of love. And why does the internet keep changing "tuba" to "tube"?