Any plans for DP to get on the MPE bus?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Any plans for DP to get on the MPE bus?

Post by Prime Mover »

I'm VERY seriously considering buying a Roli Seaboard (either a seaboard block just to get started, or going the full 9-yards and getting a Rise 49). However, DP isn't one of the DAWs that fully supports MPE: recording/playing multiple MIDI channels per track. One can set it up in a fashion by making multiple tracks, one for each channel but it would be kind of a pain, even more so for editing. I really see the Seaboard and similar controllers being a prominent niche in the keyboard performance market for years to come. MOTU has always prided itself on being on the cutting edge of MIDI performance technology, and it was the main reason I switch from Pro Tools. I feel like they've been a bit lax as of late of actually introducing new or updated data schemes... they really haven't since comp takes in DP6, actually. DP 7-9 have been more focused on performance updates, interface tweaks, and new plugins, but at it's core, they basically all do the same functions as DP6 did. Any talk of MPE being introduced in DP10? Maybe this is just the shakeup DP needs, I'd sorta like them to overhaul a few things for a while now, especially Drum tracks and MIDI device groups.

Has there been any talk in that direction?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy