Updating Komplete Ultimate - disk space

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I've got a 1TB drive that has Komplete 9 Ultimate (and other stuff) installed on it, and it has about 330 GB free.

I just ordered the K11 Ultimate update, which says it requires slightly more space for the full install ("363 GB for complete installation").

Has anyone done such an update recently? Will it actually require that full 363 of free space, or will it just install the new material from K11U (leaving the stuff that hasn't changed from K9U in place) -- thus actually only requiring the amount of space needed for the new content?

I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new drive for this update.

Thx,
Babz
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by frankf »

Hi Babz, you don't have to install every K11 library instrument and its samples. I don't myself. Also some of the libraries are the same as K10 or earlier, so no need to reinstall them. You can also install a library or libraries on a different volume. It's easy to point to a new location for a library in recent versions of KT from the library tab by opening the pull down tab for the instrument and repointing from there. AFAIK K11 will not "auto update" previous libraries. Also, some pre K11u libraries are not included in K11u! So be careful what you delete if you start cleaning out older. Finally, after installing K11u you should register and use the service center or whatever the new version is and update all libraries to latest versions. Depending on what you keep, delete and/or newly install you may need MORE space on your volume than they suggest. Sigh...

Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mikehalloran

Re: Updating Komplete Ultimate - disk space

Post by mikehalloran »

I didn't buy Ultimate but did install Komplete onto a larger drive. The installer told me it required X but, during the process required a lot more during installation. When done about 170G was freed up and made available again.

I moved about 250G off my drive during the install process as NI Access kept telling me it needed more space. I was able to put most of it back when done.

As Frank suggests, doing it one library at a time lessens the abound of space required. NI Access doesn't work as well as advertised and my reinstall took over 4 hours. It put a number of installers in my Downloads folder that I had to open and run to get everything installed. It's good now.

I'm still weighing going to Ultimate since I can for $250.50 but am not in the mood to buy another 2T drive to have plenty of room ($570–$700). The idea of going to a 4T SSD @ $1,400 on a 2010 iMac ... not if I can help it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Speaking of which, if I do buy Ultimate, I'll need another 2T drive. As great as the 850 EVO is, it runs about $150 more than the Crucial MX300.

I'd be using it as a libraries drive only over eSATA. Anyone have experience with the 2T MX300?

I'm not interested in replacing the optical drive in my iMac to install another 1T nor replacing my 2T internal with a 4T (it's really easy but $1,400 — yikes!).

The 2010 and 2011 27" iMacs have a spare SATA connector. I had OWC convert it to eSATA when I bought mine in 2010. The saving in CA sales tax by having Apple ship it to OWC when new nearly paid for the mod.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

mikehalloran wrote:Speaking of which, if I do buy Ultimate, I'll need another 2T drive. As great as the 850 EVO is, it runs about $150 more than the Crucial MX300.

I'd be using it as a libraries drive only over eSATA. Anyone have experience with the 2T MX300?
Just went through the same thing, and the same reasoning: all my other internal SSDs are Samsung 850s, but when it came time to replace my 1Tb "Samples" drive (the LASS set and Cinesamples winds, brass and percussion drove me near the cliff, NI updates drove me over), the lower price of the 2Tb Crucial was significant enough to make me buy it. I am using it as a libraries drive over eSATA.

So I have direct experience with replacing an 850 EVO with a Crucial MX3000, which has been running my VIs every day since April 26th. The specs say it's slightly slower, but I certainly can't feel the difference when a new project opens. If anything, it runs a little faster than the 1Tb 850 EVO did when it was filled to the virtual brim. I realy like it... I mean, all the RAM in my MacPro is Crucial, so I obviously trust them with volatile solid-state memory. I'd recommend it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'd recommend it.
Thanks.

Not gung-ho about moving to Ultimate (yet?) as I'm still getting my feet wet with Komplete 11.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

OK, K11U update arrived today from Sweetwater and I'm in the process of installing it now. This is an update from K9U to K11U.

Here's how it works. You get a box containing a USB drive and a card w/ a serial number. You cannot view any of the content on the drive other than the Native Access installer. Since I already had that installed on my computer, I didn't need to install it. I just launched it from my Dock. It then detects that you have the drive plugged in and prompts you to enter the serial number. Once that's done, the content becomes visible. (Not on the HD, but from within Native Access). It automatically detects what is not installed (in other words any new content since K9U in my case, since I already have EVERYTHING from that package installed and updated to the latest version on the computer).

You can then see a list of the individual new programs and how much disk space is required and you can install them one by one. A fairly extensive list of new stuff for me, since I skipped K10U. Sweet!

If I used my calculator correctly to add it all up, it looks like the new content will consume about 93GB of space. The most hefty one is Session Horns Pro at about 27.5 GB. Emotive Strings is the next beefy at about 20 GB. I'll probably install it all -- except maybe Una Corda, which takes up 9 GB, but I'm not sure it's that useful of a sound.

So there is my report, if anyone is interested.

Best,
Babz

Now I just need the rest of my life to explore all this Kontent! :lol:
Last edited by Babz on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yea, that's the way it works. Since you already have 9U it may go more smoothly for you.

If installers fail when run from Access, quit the app and try again—no need to reboot). If that doesn't work, look for the update .dmg files in your download folder—they are all named with version numbers, thankfully. Open them and run them one at a time. Not the way it's supposed to work — but it did.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Babz wrote:
Now I just need the rest of my life to explore all this Kontent! :lol:
Lol but it's true! These days, I only explore when I need something. Gotta leave time for......music!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Babz wrote: The most hefty one is Sessions Horn Pro at about 27.5 GB.
So there is my report, if anyone is interested.
SHP is hefty. I purchased it separately on half price a while back, don't remember how long it took to download though. It takes a while to load in a project, and does eats up CPU in DP.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES