DP ”lost the game” ?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
raromatix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP ”lost the game” ?

Post by raromatix »

I asked a question in a Facebook group

Peter Hansen No Digital Performer?
Like · Reply · June 4 at 4:40pm

Mixed by Marc Mozart. Sorry, no. We put in months of work into each of those, and very few people are still using Digital Performer. I know it's a great DAW and it's a pity many people dropped it for ProTools but the truth is they lost the game.
Like · Reply · June 5 at 3:50pm · Edited

More about ”the Mixing Mozart” here:
**LINK REDACTED BY ADMIN**
Michael Canavan

Re: DP ”lost the game” ?

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm not sure what you're expecting any of us to comment on with this?
It's one guy, who thinks DP is in direct competition with Pro Tools.... :roll:
You could make the argument that Cubase, Logic, and Pro Tools are bigger market share wise, but none of them release any numbers, and DP is still around, still being updated. What game?

Obviously this guy doesn't use DP, so to him it "lost". Not worth reading any more than that into his statement.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

DP ”lost the game” ?

Post by James Steele »

Firstly this really belongs in the OT forum since it's not really criticism of a specific feature of DP, etc. Thus it is moved.

Secondly, I removed the link. Don't see any reason why he'd want his product promoted on a user forum for a "dead" DAW anyway.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

...because everything people say on Facebook and the internet is true.

NOT!

C'mon man! Get real. Ask around the LA composers actually working in film. Big names and small names. They are mostly using DP and have for years. Only suckers and people working for post houses that are forced to use PissTools don't use it. Even the head guys at Pixar who use PT at work take stuff home to do the hard stuff fast and easy on DP. That's is straight from the horse's mouth.

Yeah, I'm a "fanboy" and with good reason. Look, if you don't want to use it, don't use it. But don't try to spread dumb ass comments here. Go back to Facebook and do your thing. We are not interested in your crap.

Duh!

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

raromatix wrote:I asked a question in a Facebook group

I know it's a great DAW and it's a pity many people dropped it for ProTools but the truth is they lost the game.
It depends on who "they" are. MOTU or People who dropped DP. When I first read that, I read that as "they=people that dropped DP" were the losers. In other words "but the truth is, those that dropped DP, lost the game".
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In theory, competition makes developers strive to put out the very best-- in terms of features, power, reliability and support. In reality, it gets very complex to compare fairly. And developers have to stick to the principle vision & scope of their particular software design. In other words, DP (and Logic, and Pro Tools, for that matter) can't be all things to all users.

In many cases, people have loyalty to what they are used to; while some users will choose from multiple DAW options, based on the needs of a particular project.

I don't know about the other user forums, but here, we see a large number of power-users who do very high-level work. And these are users who have much more than passing familiarity with the competition. I've seen power-users who throw major shade at Make Music (Finale) and Waves-- with good reason. But they are loyal DP users, not because they are loyal, but because MOTU and DP have earned it.

We've seen in many threads that there are certain kinds of workflows that DP doesn't do as well as other software, just like DP crushes it with advanced composition work-flows (as just one example).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The MOTU Facebook page is a poor place to get real information. FB is not conducive to it. It is great for fake news, however.

Sometimes you get lucky but this is a far superior resource.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Whats a Pro Tool?
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

wylie1 wrote:Whats a Pro Tool?
I'm afraid I can't answer that without violating all forum rules and a few of the Ten Commandments.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

i think I'm gonna change my name to "Bob Beethoven".
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Gotta be in here somewhere...
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Hi, Bob. I'm Gus. Gus Mahler.

And I always consult a Facebook group when I want an unreasoned or irrational opinion from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Oh, wait, that's why I quit using/participating in/reading/ visiting Facebook.

Also, Mr. Raromatix: one post at the beginning of 2011. Then, nothing, until you roll back in a couple weeks ago to smudge the air with 6 posts keening about how a guy at MOTU didn't figure out your problem instantly, and now this. You don't have much constructive to say.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

cuttime wrote:i think I'm gonna change my name to "Bob Beethoven".
Rollover
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Gravity Jim wrote:Hi, Bob. I'm Gus. Gus Mahler....
Did someone cue up Britten's Death in Venice?

It's about Mahler as an old man.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

mikehalloran wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Hi, Bob. I'm Gus. Gus Mahler....
Did someone cue up Britten's Death in Venice?

It's about Mahler as an old man.
Well, I'm for sure an old man. So... music, maestro, please.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]