I know...Get A Life! Lines of Code in DP?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I know...Get A Life! Lines of Code in DP?

Post by buzzsmith »

Just curious...

My DP 9.01 is showing a size of 305 megs.

I just wonder how many lines of code that might contain?

Inquiring minds...

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

FMiguelez

Re: I know...Get A Life! Lines of Code in DP?

Post by FMiguelez »

I'd pay money just to glance at parts of the DP code, just out of curiosity.

It must be mind-bogglingly complex... Can you imagine? Just keeping all the parts organised in libraries must be quite a challenge.

I suppose it's written in C++? It would be nice if one of the MOTU programmers came here to chat with us about this. I've been doing some reading on DSP lately, and it's fascinating :)

http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm

I think we need to get lives, Buzzy :lol:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

DSP is way harder than analog. We're on our third generation of DSP concepts now, and it's easier this time around than the last time, as we finally went to 64-bit integer math. It simplifies stuff like headroom, noise suppression, etc. I think MOTU made this switch a few years ago already.

Counting lines of code is a meaningless task. Well-architected code shrinks (re-factoring) and grows (new features) at the same time. Microsoft code just gets bigger, due to lack of architecture, or poor design (I've seen quite a bit of it over the years).

I'm far more curious about how MOTU tackled the multi-platform problem. They have a large workforce so can afford to do separate code bases, but I wonder if they did.

Companies that barely have any software engineers, like mine, are forced out of pragmatism into using Qt/C++ and JavaFX/Java, sometimes Nue and other cross-platform toolkits (even JavaScript). They're getting better, but it remains the case that to do truly compliant stuff you kind of have to develop directly for the platform -- perhaps using Xcode and Apple's recommended languages.

One cue as to how much native code or native tools are involved, is to look at the file choosers in an app. Adobe has what appear to be proprietary plug-ins near the bottom of theirs, that I have found no way to access programmatically and yet do not think they are Adobe-specific. Either Apple shares some stuff with them that they don't with others, or doing Xcode-based development with Apple/Mac-specific tools/languages provides more features than merely wrapping native code.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Most of that probably does not come from compiled lines of code. There are a lot of image files and other data used by DP. The exec file is less than 40 meg.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That's actually somewhat small, which likely means they don't use much, if any, third-party code, as such libraries tend to contribute more to compiled code size than local application code does.

Of course, if they're depending mostly on installed libraries vs. dynamic or static linked libraries, due to be highly native in writing style, that would also explain the somewhat small executable style.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH