Strings for 3/4 Scale Guitar

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Strings for 3/4 Scale Guitar

Post by bayswater »

By 3/4 scale I mean something like a Ric 325. I don't know where the "3/4" comes from.

I had read that the low E is difficult to tune on a guitar this size perhaps because the harmonics that are emphasized don't work well. I'm getting that experience. I can get the intonation right, and tuning right on the string played by itself, but it never sounds right on in rhythm parts.

I've see advice to get a heavier gauge for the low E, or to use a flatwound to suppress to offending harmonics. Sites that talk about strings for short scale guitars generally refer to guitars the size of a Mustang which is quite a bit larger than a 325.

Does anyone have experience with this? What strings would you use?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Re: Strings for 3/4 Scale Guitar

Post by stubbsonic »

If you use a thicker E string, you get a little bit stronger low end from the added mass of the string. But you also get sharper harmonics because of the thickness and stiffness.

The best balance is to find a thick string that is not too stiff. I think flatwounds are stiffer than round-wounds generally, so the harmonics are sharper, but less pronounced.

If it was me, I'd use light strings and just tune the low E and A just a tiny bit flat. Then the harmonics will be in tune with the rest of the strings.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. I'll try lighter strings with flat tuning. Somewhere around -10 cents? Stiffness: are there any brands that are typically less stiff than others?

I have a set of heavy Pyramids sitting around and I'll try those too sometime and see what works best. Don't like flatwounds. I find when recording with a DI they make a phwumph sound.

It's interesting what a small change in scale does. The lower strings are extremely sensitive to slight variations in where and how you press them onto the fingerboard.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Maybe Ernie Ball super slinkys?

Try tuning the 1st string E to the tuner, then tune the 6th string to the 1st string and listen to where it sounds most in tune. If you get it sound really in tune, I suspect it'll be 5-10 cents low.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com